The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Remington Mod. 510 single shot that has been my yard gun for years. It has recently developed an irritating issue. When ejecting a shell the bolt will stick to the rear and you have to remove the bolt, re-insert it and then it will close. I don't see any marks on the bolt indicating binding. If your careful and slowly slide the bolt back it doesn't happen. Anyone have a clue as to what is going on? It's getting to be a pain!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The first thing I'd do (if you haven't already done so) is to strip the rifle down and give it a good cleaning. That includes the interior of the receiver and the bolt and the trigger group. While cleaning check for gummed-up oil, abnormal wear, or even a broken part. Gum Out brake cleaner makes a good initial cleaner to blast out any crud. Lightly lube and recheck the function. Not sure this will be the cure but it's a place to start.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
25,524 Posts
By "strip the rifle down", you likely meant remove the barreled action from the stock, which is critical before using most brake cleaners on the action. Just thought I'd make that a tad plainer.

Haven't worked with that particular rifle, but most 22s have a function of the trigger mechanism (and/or safety) that doubles as the bolt stop. So if the bolt is sticking when opened fully, I'd suspect some grit may be causing the problem in that area?

If you have to pull the trigger or manipulate the safety to remove the bolt from the action, look there first for the problem's cause.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
DennyF +1

I have a 521 and it had similiar problem years ago. It had been shot a lot, so I cleaned it. I also found the bolt was binding on the rear of the receiver ring. a build up of bullet lube was acting like fly-paper and sticking the bolt. Cleaning helped. The bolts a on these are not really hard and I found some rings on the bolt also. I polished the bolts smooth as a baby' skin (600 grit, then Fitz). Worked as slick as when new.

·
Registered
25,524 Posts
Have a very old Mossberg single shot 22 bolt gun, that an uncle gave me many years ago. It had been my father's rifle, which he bought used in the mid 1930s and gave to one of his brothers, when dad went into the Army in 1941.

It was that Potter uncle's "car gun" from the 40s until the late 70s, when he gave it to me. Years of neglect and crud made the action gritty and rough, among other issues. First thing I did upon removing the barreled action, was to remove the bolt, spray the action innards with cleaner and scrub the interior of the action with a short rod and old shotgun bore brush. Repeated "flushings" finally removed all the accumulated crud from action, trigger assembly, bolt, etc.

Also soaked/brushed the bore, which was caked with lead and powder residue. Fortunately, the bore never rusted, is fairly pristine and the clunker is very accurate.

When clean, applied a bit of RemOil to the metal parts and have kept it clean since.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You're right Denny. By "strip" I meant take it out of the stock and remove the bolt. Sorry, should have been a bit clearer. You're right, some of the cleaners can play havoc with the finish on a stock and even plastic parts.

Muab

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I will give them idears a try. I did clean it very well, but the shotgun brush through the bolt travel area sounds like it may work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts