The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How high should I be at 50 yards if I want it zeroed at 100 yards sshooting 40 grain hollow points

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
A .22 mag isn't really a 100 yard gun.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
zero it at 100yds if thats where you want it zeroed...that way you KNOW its on at the distance you want it to be..

other than that, its just a guess..sometimes a good guess..often times too far off...

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
About 1.25 inches high. But it really depends on your rifle, the scope height, and the mounts. Do as Mauser says, go to the range and just sight it in at 100 yards.

Since you are generally going to be shooting at small targets, and estimate isn't really good. you need to know your specific set-up. I kill crows at 150 yards often.

Up to 100 yards the 22 mag is pretty good on large hogs, over that you need a good head shot with a hollow point, and that means knowing your rifle.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
On average about 1" high with a 22 mag hv load @ 50 will put you where you wunt @100.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
IMO a 22mag. at 100 yds. is just about at it's limit for game. Mine is sighted in dead on at 50 which puts it about 3/4 to 1 " low at 100 with 40 gr. bt. and if I shoot it that way with a 30gr. Hornady it's dead on at 100. A ground hog will crawl away unless a head shot is taken. I use mine mostly for fox and 40 gr. Rem.'s knock em dead. Fox aren't hard to kill imo and rare to get a shot past 50 yds. I shoot them from point blank to 25 maybe 30 yds. Where I hunt fox is spec. regs. area and almost the same with chucks close range. Have Fun ...later

1 - 8 of 8 Posts