The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are 22 LR fine to hunt squirrels or will Hollow Points do a better job?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I admire guys that can consistently make head shots on squirrels. I can not. Maybe if I used a scope but I don't want to do that. I think most any rimfire round your rifle shoots good will work fine on squirrels.

·
Super Moderator
13,501 Posts
22 LR Hollow points do a lot of damage to a squirrel. I prefer short hollow points...head or center mass shots do no damage to the meat. Another advantage to the subsonic shorts is they don't make that loud crack and scare the other squirrels into jumping making very difficult rifle shots for the second, third and so forth squirrels......Squirrels have a small sure kill area and one needs to hone their skills and group sizes to good accuracy.....Lots of fun to hunt.....

·
Registered
557 Posts
I agree lots of fun to hunt. Unfortunately last few years haven’t gone due to not liking the meat. And don’t want to waste them so don’t kill them. Anyone have any good recipes? What do you eat on the squirrel just the back legs?

·
Super Moderator
13,501 Posts
My ex made delicious Squirrel coquets but would never give me the recipe. She did say it was similar to salmon croquets....Found this on the web.....https://georgiawildlife.blog/2018/08/26/5-squirrel-recipes-youll-ever-taste/

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I agree lots of fun to hunt. Unfortunately last few years haven’t gone due to not liking the meat. And don’t want to waste them so don’t kill them. Anyone have any good recipes? What do you eat on the squirrel just the back legs?
I like squirrel potpie w the thick homemade noodles, or fried or grilled w seasonings to taste. Shake n bake works too. Pretty much eat everything that isnt skin, head, feet, bone or guts!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts