The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i shoot a mark 2 22 long rifle savage. looking to increase my range to 100 yards to break some clay targets. Looking for some ammo suggestions?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Most any 22LR ammo should be sufficient at 100yards. Years ago I shot a ton of poker chips with a Marlin model 60 at that range, with what ever ammo was available, The old Marlins were good rifles just not known for great accuracy, what your rifle likes best no one can tell you. You need to bench shoot several brands and just see what your best groups are with.

·
Registered
285 Posts
PaScout,

My mark 2 likes the Remington golden bullets that used to be in the green box. I think they are 36 grain, definitely hollow points.

Tim

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
Individual 22 rifles favor different ammo. I would get a few boxes of better quality ammo and shoot it for groups. Then when you find a round that shoots tight buy a higher quanity.

If I had to recommed one economical round today I would say try CCI SV (standard velocity). It shoots good out of all of my rifles and pistols. You can find it at Dick's.

·
Registered
25,546 Posts
As others have mentioned, most 22s can be finicky about ammo, so try several types to see which ones your rifle favors.

My own experiences with about a dozen 22 firearms, is that CCI Mini Mags usually shoot pretty well, along with Win. Dynapoints. I have three different kinds of Fed bulk ammo on hand and most it will shoot pretty well in my rifles.

Usually pretty interesting to shoot a variety to find what works and it's a good excuse to burn up more ammo.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Defiantly cci. For longer range try the stinger.

A lot of target guys like sub sonic types of rounds but at 100 UDS I would do stingers or velocitors both by cci

.22 are picky though. MY marlin likes everything though so I shot mini mag or velocitors on game and bulk just for fun

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
My Marlin 39AS likes CCI standard velocity. The CCI stingers don't shot well out of it for whatever reason. I can't use cheap ammo you buy by the brick (like thunderbolts or wildcats), they hang up when trying to eject.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
After going through over 20 different kinds of bullets in my old Marlin Model 25, I found that the CCI Mini-Mag hollow points will give me a one hole group at 50 yards.

I recieved the rifle for christmas in '82. It still puts all 7 from the clip in one hole at 50.

Try the CCI's, you may just find a sweet spot there.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
TATERDAVID said:
Defiantly cci. For longer range try the stinger.

A lot of target guys like sub sonic types of rounds but at 100 UDS I would do stingers or velocitors both by cci

.22 are picky though. MY marlin likes everything though so I shot mini mag or velocitors on game and bulk just for fun
If you want to hold any kind of consistent accuracy at 100 yards, you better shoot standard velocity stuff..............the more money, the better it is generally speaking............I shoot a lot of 22 competition, and spend an awful lot of time shooting 22s at all different ranges.........truth is, no matter what gun you have, you cannot expect to hit a target every shot at 100 yards using high velocity ammo.............with standard velocity, the odds get an awful lot better.......Target ammo, even better, Match ammo better yet..............

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
My Marlin favors the cheap federal bulk packs from Wal-Mart. One hole size if a nickel at 50 yards from 17 shots from the tube feed. CCI's shoot almost as good. I shoot the stingers from time to time hunting squirrels. They are accurate enough to hunt squirrels in the woods, but that's about it. I stopped buying them as they didn't improve my range since the accuracy fell off at around 50 yards.

I tried a couple match grade loads in mine, and for some reason the gun just doesn't like them. It seems to favor copper plated bullets. Anything with exposed lead doesn't shoot all that well.

I shot a box of golden sabers last year, and you needed a tape measure to measure a 50 yard group.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
As Buckshot said, better accuracy comes from the standard velocity stuff. There are many grades of standard velocity stuff. Some is pretty darn expensive and the type that is quality tested from cartridge to cartridge for uniformity.

I shoot whatever standard vel I can find cheap. Brogue Sporting Goods in Brogue PA recently had bricks of standard vel for about $23 I don't even recall the brand Maybe Eagle. Desert Eagle something like that. Fancy Target 22 RF guns usually have specially cut chambers with little or no free bore ahead of the bullet. They are made to seat the bullet into the rifling when the action is closed. Other guns for some reason have longer chambers for the longer heavier bullets and standard velocity ammo, being shorter, requires that the bullet jump forward into the rifling. Where the stingers, exciters, etc are slightly longer, (by a millimeter or three) they don't have to jump as far into the rifling and can be more accurate than standard vel depending on the chamber.

In addition, there are slight differences in the types of rifling and twists. faster and longer bullets seem to do better with slower twists. Standard vel shorter bullets seem to do better with faster twists.

Then there are different shapes of rifling. Micro groove was used for years by Marlin and Glenfield. Ballard style was used in some, a few had old fashioned rachet style rifling and there are other styles. (Pope, Henry, Forsyth)

A number a variables determine what is best for your gun. And in 22rf's there are more variables than in most centerfire guns.

So the statement above that each gun has a preference is surprisingly true.

When i shot competitive 22rf's in college we had a limited budget and would buy the cheapest standard vel on the market, by the case. Back then it was a Canadian Ammo sold under the name Canuck, made (IIRC) by Dominion. The bullets were covered with white grease and we had to wipe off the excess before using it. But the stuff shot darn accurate in our Winchester 52's. (A special heavy barrel 22 RF rifle made by Winchester.)

I still have a few boxes of S&W brand 22rf ammo. That was good stuff too. Worth too much now to collectors to shoot.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Almost all the 22's used in Olympic shooting have chambers specially cut for standard velocity ammo. A box of Ely match grade is usually over $10 for a box of 50 cartridges. Those guys with the 50 meter free pistols shoot incredibly small groups.

Some 22 rf rifles couldn't keep an 8 inch group at 100 yds from a machine rest, regardless of ammo used.

·
Registered
25,546 Posts
Wolf Match Target (made in Germany) is pretty good stuff for the money. Haven't bought any lately (got plenty), but it was running about $50 per brick of 500, last time I stocked up.

My .920 barreled (match chamber) Ruger 1022 w/adjustable thumbhole stock, ususally will put five of 'em in one ragged hole, rested at 50 yards.

My bone stock 1022 CMP indoor rifle, hates the stuff, though. It does much better with cheap ammo.

When CCI Stingers came out years ago, I tried some in my most accurate 22. Wouldn't group worth a darn, so I've never bought any since. But for years CCI Mini Mags worked very well in that same rifle.

Once fired a sub MOA five shot group (front rest, rear bag) with it at 100 yards, using Mini Mags. And with of all things, an old Weaver K2.5 scope.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I use CCI mini mags in either 40 grain solid or hollow point, clean and accurate. I am going to have to try their 40 grain regular velocity stuff as well. My rifle is a Marlin bolt, I think an 881 or 882, the one with the tube and walnut stock.

·
Registered
25,546 Posts
CCI's SV (standard velocity) is pretty popular at our club's winter indoor CMP shoots. The local Dick's used to keep those bricks in stock, don't know if they still do?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have a Mark II as well and i usually shoot the bulk federals or bulk winchesters just not the white box winchesters.I usually only shoot at 50yds but i could go out to 100 with those and be confident to hit a clay at that range with a little bit of compensation for drop,but i only found out my rifle likes those from trying all kinds.I use the 36gr hps

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
As Buckshot said, better accuracy comes from the standard velocity stuff. There are many grades of standard velocity stuff. Some is pretty darn expensive and the type that is quality tested from cartridge to cartridge for uniformity.

I shoot whatever standard vel I can find cheap. Brogue Sporting Goods in Brogue PA recently had bricks of standard vel for about $23 I don't even recall the brand Maybe Eagle. Desert Eagle something like that. Fancy Target 22 RF guns usually have specially cut chambers with little or no free bore ahead of the bullet. They are made to seat the bullet into the rifling when the action is closed. Other guns for some reason have longer chambers for the longer heavier bullets and standard velocity ammo, being shorter, requires that the bullet jump forward into the rifling. Where the stingers, exciters, etc are slightly longer, (by a millimeter or three) they don't have to jump as far into the rifling and can be more accurate than standard vel depending on the chamber.

In addition, there are slight differences in the types of rifling and twists. faster and longer bullets seem to do better with slower twists. Standard vel shorter bullets seem to do better with faster twists.

Then there are different shapes of rifling. Micro groove was used for years by Marlin and Glenfield. Ballard style was used in some, a few had old fashioned rachet style rifling and there are other styles. (Pope, Henry, Forsyth)

A number a variables determine what is best for your gun. And in 22rf's there are more variables than in most centerfire guns.

So the statement above that each gun has a preference is surprisingly true.

When i shot competitive 22rf's in college we had a limited budget and would buy the cheapest standard vel on the market, by the case. Back then it was a Canadian Ammo sold under the name Canuck, made (IIRC) by Dominion. The bullets were covered with white grease and we had to wipe off the excess before using it. But the stuff shot darn accurate in our Winchester 52's. (A special heavy barrel 22 RF rifle made by Winchester.)

I still have a few boxes of S&W brand 22rf ammo. That was good stuff too. Worth too much now to collectors to shoot.
Zimmer I still have a few 52's that I shoot quite a bit............They are both pretty heavily customized, but I wouldn't trade them for a brand new Anschutz..................

CCI ammo is some of the better priced stuff that shoots good out of most rifles......A guy that I shoot silhouettes with uses CCI Blazers, and has good luck with them.......some guys also like the mini mags for silhouette, and standard velocity

Some other cheaper good quality ammo to try is Fiocchi Exacta, SK Standard+, Wolf, Eley Sport, Aguila Target............

1 - 20 of 23 Posts