The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken a deer with a .22 hornet? I was told that the .22 hornet because its a centerfire rifle is legal to use? I know there will be a number of people telling me how crazy I am.... however I would appreciate all "TRUE TALES"

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
No. can you kill deer with a hornet, yep. BUT BULLET PLACEMENT IS VERY CRITICAL.

Nothing is worse than getting a good deer in your sights and firing with a good hold and not see the deer "react". Same with elk, ,cape buffalo, etc.

Uless you brain it, expect of sit for an hour then track slowly.

Id certainly NOT, recommend it as a deer cartridge. Might even pick a 410 slug before the 22 hornet, it just Doesn't have the penetration for most big game. Same with the 22 mag rf.

I suspect most tales of deer kills with the hornet are "under the light"!!!!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just checked some other forums and most are saying one shot... one guy said it took two... I am looking for the lightest recoil possible for my daughter so that is why I am asking.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
starting a new hunter on such an underpowered gun would be a huge disservice both to her and the game. Get her a 243 and start her out with some light loads. the 243 is not very loud and does not kick hardly at all. Kids will surprise you with their tolerance to recoil. I'd be comfortable taking a young teen up to a 25.06 or a mild 308 or 30/30 rather than hope they don't get the jitters and hit a 3" target at 100 yards with a 22 hornet. that rifle should be head shots only, or minimum the base of skull at the neck.

Get her shooting the 22lr now, and get her shooting good. then move her up to the 243 and let her shoot a few rounds to get the feel for it. then put it away as long as you are comfortable with her ability to put the bullet where she's aiming.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
A very nice low recoil round for very young or small young children is the .357 mag. in a rifle. Easy to shoot well; very low recoil and noise; enough power for deer out to 125 yards or so which is plenty far enough for young kids.

Marlin makes some nice carbines that would work just fine. The only drawback is that you will probably like it so much that you will end up wanting to use it more than the kids do. You can even plink with some 38 specials. I have taken deer with the .357 mag. in a handgun for years and it's a very underrated cartridge.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Jaydog got it 100%.

I really can't think of a worse choice to start a youngster with.

Get the 22 rf then go to the "243 with the new reduced recoil loads". I've taught 7 gand kids in the last 8 years. they have 14 deer so far and are good shots with the oldest being 16.

I also let them use a 30-30 bolt (Savage 340).

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Right on Jaydog. even adult hunters get the shakes remember the excitement/adrenaline of YOUR 1st deer. a 223 with a premium bullet would not be optimal however much better than a hornet. how old is she?

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
If I were buying a rifle for her I would not go below .222 Remington. .223 preferably. If you already have a .22 Hornet and money is tight get 45 grain soft points in a box of 50 and let her shoot forty of them before she goes hunting with it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I shot a medium sized doe with a hornet 45 gr sierra (hornet) semi point bullet lil-gun powder. The deer was shot in the lungs and ran 40 yards and fell over, I don't think I would have had better results with a 223 or simular cartridges. Unless I missed read the other replies none of these fellow stated that they shot a deer with the hornet they just said to use something else and not to use a hornet if I missed read the other replies I aplologize. In my opinion If thats the only light recoiling gun you have and don't want to buy another go ahead and use it

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Drags, just because we done it once or saw a youtube video of someone who did once...a 22 hornet is not a deer gun. I'm a fairly accomplished hunter and a GOOD shot, and I STILL would not rely on my 22mag to be a go to gun for deer. that's not to say I have not put deer down with it. I have, and it's head shots ONLY, and every deer i've hit with it did not take another step. BUT, that rifle is NOT legal to hunt with here, and a 22 hornet is not much more powerful than the 22WMR. point to the matter is...a 22 hornet is NOT enough gun to start a young shooter out with. I'd never start a kid small gaming with a .410 either. Yeah, it kicks less than a 20ga, but it is significantly harder to hit your quarry with it and in the end will discourage the youth. I would rather make their experience a positive one.

as for a one shot drop on a sub caliber - that's great. I've also seen deer run to the next county with a bowling ball sized hole in their ribs from a 300 win mag and another one hit with a punkin ball that went down and got back up only to run a quarter mile before dropping again.

To the OP - hot placement is KEY, and I don't think an inexperienced shooter should be at such a handicap right off the bat. I commend you for getting her involved, but PLEASE, for the sake of her success and the betterment of our sport, do her right with an acceptable weapon. I really appreciate the mention of a carbine with .357 - that is a CHERRY suggestion and if you are in the market for a new gun ANYWAY...that is a premium choice for the youngster.

·
Registered
959 Posts
soyo asked for TRUE TALES And I gave him mine I never said a 22 hornet was a good deer caliber but I wouldn't tell a youngster to stay home because that was the only gun that was avaible to her. My two brothers and I started hunting with a 410 shotgun and we had a great time using the 410 and all three of us are still hunting more than 50 years later. That had to be a very tough deer
to run to the next county with a bowling ball sized hole in its ribs but anything is possible.
Drags

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
If i had not seen the buck running, I would doubt it too. Near the 528 bridge on lake arthur, the buck that had the side missing ran up the dirt road to the big water tower and collapsed at the crossroads. It was shot down in the bottoms near the lake at a spot where guys routinely duck hunt. i just checked distance with google earth and assuming it ran a perfectly straight line, that buck ran just under a mile. Deer are funny creatures. Some can be knocked down dead with nary a sneeze. others will run after tripping a claymore point blank. still...I just can't see using anything smaller than 6mm on em. and I don't think it's fair to the deer. HIGH probability of wounding them. I'm officially removing myself from this topic. and popping some p-corn.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
drags said:
soyo asked for TRUE TALES And I gave him mine I never said a 22 hornet was a good deer caliber but I wouldn't tell a youngster to stay home because that was the only gun that was avaible to her. My two brothers and I started hunting with a 410 shotgun and we had a great time using the 410 and all three of us are still hunting more than 50 years later. That had to be a very tough deer
to run to the next county with a bowling ball sized hole in its ribs but anything is possible.
Drags
So you would let a kid hunt with an inferior deer rifle if thats all he had? Poor advice man.....poor advice. Teach them the right way.

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
I know a guy that used a 22 Hornet.He shot the deer in the neck.They died on the spot.However my son now 12 uses a 30-30 and reduced recoil Remington loads.I asked how hard it kicks.His reply was it just kind of shakes.I shot a 270 with the reduced loads and it felt like a 30-30.Then I shot the 30-30 and it did just shake.Do they make them in 30-06?Lol.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Stetam said:
drags said:
Drags
So you would let a kid hunt with an inferior deer rifle if thats all he had? Poor advice man.....poor advice. Teach them the right way.
If that was ALL that you had and it was legal, why not?

If that was ALL that you had, there is a possibility that you can't afford more at the time. With alot of discipline I don't see anything wrong with it. Now I would rather have the kid using a bigger rifle and I would sit there with no gun if I had a bigger rifle to offer.

I think people now adays spend too much time regurgitating ballistics that they've read in some magazine. The hornet is certainly not the ideal gun for the job, but if I were in a pinch and that was all that I had, I'd still be going hunting.

Luckily I have other means.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Well said hc66 if the gun is legal even though it would be on the lower power end it would be very hard to tell a youngster that they would have to stay home because the only gun available was a legal gun that you considered inferior. Soyo asked for TRUE TALES of 22 hornet experience's and only two posters answered his question not opinions about the hornet being not powerful enough.
drags

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
drags said:
Well said hc66 if the gun is legal even though it would be on the lower power end it would be very hard to tell a youngster that they would have to stay home because the only gun available was a legal gun that you considered inferior. Soyo asked for TRUE TALES of 22 hornet experience's and only two posters answered his question not opinions about the hornet being not powerful enough.
drags
Teaching inexperienced youngsters that it's ok to use underpowered guns is not being a good example. A 22 hornet is marginal even by an experienced shot, and only if you have ideal close-up conditions. Would you rather teach our children the right thing or the minimum they need, even though it's not right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts