The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for big enough to tackle a yote, but still fur friendly enough for a fox and I continuously get brought back to these two calibers and 17 centerfires; due to gun choice I am going 22 hornet or 223. 204 Ruger is an option in the gun I am looking at, but I have read it is not so fur friendly for foxes. So what do you guys think would be the better ticket, please include prefered bullet for your prefered caliber!

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you are looking for fur friendly on fox go with the hornet. The .223 and 204 are not usually fur friendly on fox. To much velocity.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Its all about bullet choice. Any Caliber mentioned will work. You want a bullet that will mushroom and not explode when it hits the animal. Soft points are a good choice, and certain hollow points work well. Fmj's work well depending on where you hit the animal.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Or, you want a bullet that will leave a tiny entry, and no exit, which means it completely shrapnels inside the animal. V-max, and bergers come to mind. Between the two calibers listed, I'd definitely go with the hornet. The 223 will still tear up some fox here and there. The hornet will take down. Yote, if you need it to.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a 204 and just shot a fox last week, I use 45gr soft point and it went through witg hardly any damage, I wouldbt recomend using a vmax or anything from a 223, they both have alot of power and it will not stop on a fox, your best bet is to just get either the 204 or 223 and use the hunting style bullets over varmit bullets, either if these calibers will have all the range you need and can easily take the biggest coyote at any distance, they are good for fox too like i said use the sturdy bullets that dont fragment and you will have great results. The 22 hornet is a grandpa cartrige and is no match for either of the two, if your buying a new centerfire rifle maksure you get enough gun othwise you will not keep it long... you can shoot a fox with a 22hornet and they can and will still get up and run. a 204 will be a garuntee one shot kill. do yourself the favor there is no reason to do more with less.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Plus a 223 or even 204 could be used on deer, i wouldbt hesistate to put one of those hornady sp behind a deers shoulder I have no doubt it would drop. try and get a heavy barrel too if you intend to shoot at the range both cal will heat a sporting barrel up with two shots. although it doesnt matter if your hunting. Id say get the 204 there is no guess work nomatter the range here in pa just point and shoot.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you reload, the 223 can give you the best of both worlds and the brass and bullets are readily available. I highly recommend a Savage with the Accu-Trigger. Shot placement is key on not tearing up a fox pelt, regardless of the bullet. Hit the shoulder and there will be a larger hole, no getting around it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
bbd!5b said:
Whats every ones opinion on the .17 Hornet for predators?
All the reviews on it have been positive but haven't talked with anyone who has hunted with it yet. Prob gona pick up a savage walking varmint in 17 hornet after the holidays. I think it will work good for fox and cheaper to reload then the 17 fireball.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stack e'm high said:
I carry the single shot NEF pardner modified choke loaded with 3" dead coyote 00buck on every single set man, if they are 50 and in its my prefered gun for yotes or foxes no doubt! I also have a 17hmr and while I have no doubts about its ability to take down a fox, or a yote under right conditions and right distance, I am just looking for a little more knockdown power and out to a greater distance.

I should add to this decision, while I am looking for something strong enough to take down a yote...my chances are usually higher of seeing fox or coons. Therefore I am equally as concerned about the damage it will do to fur on fox/coon, as I am about its guaranteed ability to drop a yote with one shot at 200+; most of my shots would be inside the 200yd mark for the areas I typicaly hunt.

I really like the idea of the 223 and reloadability, as one member stated I could even take it down to 22 hornet speeds if I care to. I have heard those little hornady vmax's rip up foxes no matter the caliber, I can imagine why seeing how the 17gr vmax out of my 17hmr obliterates ground hogs inside 200 and I dont use it any more for squirels because even head shots result in half the squirel being blood shot meat. So it looks like a SP or FMJ will be my best bet out of the 223, are FMJ's typicaly enough to drop coyotes with behind the shoulder shots?

·
Registered
18,544 Posts
If you are looking at 200yd shots forget about the Hornet. IMO good out to 125yds maybe 150 tops (but I think that's pushing it).

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I've got a .204. I've tried all the different factory loadings. It was like playing Russian roulette. Sometimes you couldn't even tell where they were hit, others, they were literally cut in half. My brother has a .223. Even with heavy 70 grain bullets, he was tearing foxes apart. FMJ loads aren't the answer either. Critters can go a long way, with very little blood to follow. And if by chance the bullet starts to tumble inside the animal, it can tear a pretty large hole on exit. From what you describe of your situation, go with the hornet, you won't be sorry!

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I've seen what a hornet does to large gobblers and know people who killed deer with them. The eskimos killed polar bears with the hornet. That must have been a REALLY tough fox or it was barely nicked!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'll can tell you first hand, the .204 blows the heck out of fox! Like the entire offside rib cage. I'm looking for a 22 mag just for fox.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a 204, I just shot a red last week I use the 45gr sp fron hornady and it just went through with no drama, about quarter size hole right through tye ribs, And it EASILY shoots 200y with no hold over, you never halfto guess it just point and pull, I shot a 5 gal bucket fron way over 300 yards the other day and it just shattered and I only aimed about 2 incges high. thats a great gun

1 - 20 of 26 Posts