The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some suggestions for reloading .22 Hornet.. powder, bullets, shells, porimers... Id like to keep the bullet at 45gr or more but im open to all suggestions.. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
12.5 grn. aa 1680 with 45gr. bullet shoots real good in a ruger 77 22hornet A small pistol primer tighten up my groups

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I dont know what your going to be hunting, but if its groundhogs then the 40 grain v-max over lil gun took lots of hogs from my hornet.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I use Remington 6 1/2 primers exclusively in my Hornets...

A Remington case holds about 1 grain more powder than does a Winchester case. Keep this in mind as you should not switch powder charges between the two brands...

Many Hornet barrels have a 1-16 twist which often doesn't do well with bullets over 45 grains...

Don't worry about .223 vs. .224 diameter bullets....find the bullet(s) your Hornet prefers....

Hornet cases have thin necks....be gentle with them....

Lee Collet dies work very well when handloading the Hornet....a bit of neck tension which can be imparted by the seating die can enhance accuracy...be careful when adjusting the sizing die as it is easy to create excessive headspace if improperly adjusted. Only size the cases enough so the bolt closes snugly on the sized case.

Cartridge overall length must be closely watched. Many Hornet rifles' magazines demand rather deep seating of the bullet in order to feed properly...

Keep your cases trimmed. If you have to trim after one or two reloadings your pressures are likely higher than they should be...

I use 296, H110, Lil Gun, 2400 and IMR 4227 in various loads...Try Lil Gun first....12.5 grains and work up to 13 grains....

The 40 VMax is a great Hornet bullet....

Have fun. The Hornet is one of my favorite cartridges....

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
was reading that the savage I have is a 1 in 14" Twist and the reloading manual said a hornet can handle up to 52 grain bullets before losing accuracy. Im trying to develop a good turkey load for a body shot, because I admit, im no sharp shooter that can hit a turkeys head free hand at 60+ yards. Im a bit of a shaky shooter off the rest so im lookin for something thatll have a bit of power.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Don't forget to try the 35 Grain V-Max which work great in my 14" Contender with: Ditto on win bob's loads.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Huskyhunter said:
I dont know what your going to be hunting, but if its groundhogs then the 40 grain v-max over lil gun took lots of hogs from my hornet.
You need to buy Lil'Gun powder. Works well for 40 and 45 gr. bullets. I use a case full on 40 grain V-Max's and a SMALL PISTOL Primer and a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Please re-read. Lil'Gun powder, 40 grain V-MAX, SMALL Pistol Primer and LFC die. I have given this info out to multiple people when handloading their hornet and have never had a complaint back

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I use bulk remington 45gr HP's over 13.0 of lil' gun and a small pistol primer. play with seating depth once you get your powder weight established, my gun is very particular with seating depth and I can see group size change with every +/- .010"

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
"Need some suggestions for reloading .22 Hornet"

'Lil Gun and 45 grainers...and lots of prayer.

Muab Dib

·
Registered
25,593 Posts
Most (if not all) loads will call for small rifle primers. Not a good idea to substitute.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Andy1 said:
Huskyhunter said:
You need to buy Lil'Gun powder. Works well for 40 and 45 gr. bullets. I use a case full on 40 grain V-Max's and a SMALL PISTOL Primer and a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Please re-read. Lil'Gun powder, 40 grain V-MAX, SMALL Pistol Primer and LFC die. I have given this info out to multiple people when handloading their hornet and have never had a complaint back
I took your advice, does having a full case of powder and thus having to compress it when seating the bulllet cause any problems?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've had good results too with Lil'Gun (12.5g) pushin a 35 g Hornady V-Max....I may try the small pistol primers someone suggested and see what happens. I dont kwow if it will do better that coverin 3 shot w/a dime @ 100yds but who knows??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts