The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He guys need some advise. I bought a new 22 hornet A new Savage lightweight varminter with the laminate stock. Great looking rifle but I am having issues with cycling the ammo. The shell will jam in there when closing the bolt. I cant close it slow and it happens even when slammin it shut. just not as often. And when i do it has actually seated the bullet deeper into the casing. I have probably 10 rounds that are useless now becaust of it. tHE AMMO Im running through it is Remington 45 gr HP. Buddy gave me 3 hornady vmax to try and the cycle a lot better but still have it jam up time or two. Whats the deal???? any help or thoughts?

This actually cost me a fox last night. I dropped him then he got up and ran I tried to cycle another round and it jammed up and the fox got away.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when I say jam i mean the bolt picks it out of the magazine but doesnt always direct into the barrell and thats when it jamms and the bullet gets seated further into the casing.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
The feed lips (upper lips) on the magazine are not at the right angle. It is coming out of the magazine at the wrong angle. A lot of times this is adjustable with needlenose, make sure the lips are parallel and bent equally. Needs to be opened or closed a little more.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
i have a maverick 88 12 gauge that only likes Remington shells. i can't use federals. that being said if it's a new gun from a dealer, he should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Can you feed a round into the chamber by hand? If you can and it fits properly I would suspect the magazine as Tundragriz said. If not then there is a problem with the chamber.

BTW make sure the magazine is seated.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I initially had the inverse of your problem. The bolt wouldn't catch the top cartridge, would just scratch over the top of it not feeding it. In my case the front portion of the lips were too wide. The front of the bullet angled up too much meaning the rear was rotated down too much so the bolt wouldn't catch it.

Initially adjusting it I closed it up too much pushing the front of the bullet down, the rear was now nicely up. The bolt caught the cartridge fine but drove the front of the bullet too low and hard into the chamber ramp causing the bullet to tip or rotate up at a very sharp angle jamming it into the top of the chamber. It would get stuck there. Then I found the sweet spot, bent the lips to the right angle and they were parallel front to back.

So I would "guess" that you need to open the front of the lips just a little. If that's not possible then I'd try swapping with a different magazine to confirm a magazine problem. This didn't happen on my sako A7 but that has a plastic magazine. The lips on it are metal so it could be adjusted if it was needed.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If it is a detachable magazine buy a new one. I absolutly promise this is your problem, i bought aa new savage mk2 22lr wich did the saame thing i could only use 40rn anything eles would smash when shutiing the bolt. i thought it was picky so i delt with it... this yeAr i decided to buy a 5rd mag because i did not like the 10rd poking my back, and what do you know every single kind of ammo works flawlessly, it even feeds 22 shorts fine. it never would have worked with the other mag. i would call them and explain this it is not anything new to them... savage makes great guns but their mags are not always great. if they wont send you a free one just buy it i promise this is your problem just like mine. A guy who works for me had them same thing with a savage 17hmr it was the MAG! good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts