The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again I'm asking the experts for their advice. Christmas is right around the corner & I'm looking for a .22 for my son. He already has a single shot Rossi. We're looking to upgrade and move up to a bolt action. What does everyone recommend?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Are you set on a bolt action? Henry makes very attractive looking levers!

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
I just got a Henry H001 Lever in .22 and they also make a youth model - LOVE IT!

·
Registered
868 Posts
I purchased a Savage MKII Youth model for my oldest son last year. It is one of the few bolt action youth models that has a clip and it a mighty fine shooter. It can be lengthened later with the purchase of an adult-sized drop-in stock.

Mark

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Check out the CZ 452 Scout. Nice well built rifle for the bucks. I bought for two, one for each of my grandsons.
CZ-USA Scout

Bill

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
think ahead a little. Is he likely to use a bolt action or pump rifle in the future for big game ? I have a pump Rem and a semi 22 that I havent shot in years because I prefer to use the Bolt 22 or the single shot Contender.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Depends on his size, but the CZ 452 Scout is a great gun for the money. It's actually the best quality 22 bolt in my safe and it's my son's!

CZ 452 Scout
Edit: Oh, sorry WildBill, you beat me to it so just count this post as a second of his opinion!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I got a rossi .22/410 for my first gun and i liked it was only like a hundred bucks

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Marlin 22 Rimfire bolt actions have always been good guns...
they are groved for scopes and they make outstanding close quarters chuck and squirrel guns..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone,
Thanks for all the help & suggestions!
Went with the Henry. Just looks like a fun gun to plink with. Plus it's made here in the USA. Also, I had a few questions and emailed the company. The president of the company emailed me back that day. Sounds like great customer service and all the reviews I've read have been very positive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts