The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a .22 rifle, should I get the Marlin or Savage and why? Both are rated good on Cabelas site. I will be using just for hunting and shooting at the range. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I'm a HUGE fan of Marlin micro-groove barrels. I've owned 2 Marlin 22mag's and both were very accurate rifles. Hard to beat 200 bucks for a MOA 22 with zero mods.

You can work the trigger (the biggest complaint on the marlin) for all of a buck, or you can get the rifle basix trigger for 70. I opted for reworking myself and there are others on this board that will tell you the trigger after 20 minutes of work is NIIIIICE. I'll be doing the trigger on Bloodhound's 17 soon (as soon as he brings the dang thing over...)

I've never used the savage - and the accu trigger is a desireable feature.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
A few years back I bought a Marlin 925 bolt action 22LR. It's really an accurate little rifle. I did find the factory rear sight was poor in that it would have a tendency to move left or right very easy. (It's one of those buck-horn sights with a long spring steel. The sight stays in the barrel fine...but with the long spring steel, the buck-horn sight can be easily moved from left to right just being brushed up against your clothing.)

I replaced the factory rear sight with a Lyman folding leaf sight. This little sight will go right into the Marlin barrel and is adjustable for height and windage...and won't move once you have it where you want it.

Or, if your going to scope it.....then don't even worry about the open sights.

FWIW

SW

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I have a marlin 22 bolt and a savage heavy barrel 22 bolt with and accu-trigger.

The Marlin is a better shooter, from sandbags at 25 yards, it groups tighter.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I have a Marlin 925 and a model 783 (I think) in .22 mag. Love them both. Put a good scope on them and you are set.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Love Marlin rimfires. I have a few. The triggers are terrible at best if left alone, but are easy to fix. I have never seen or have ever saw a Marlin rifle that shot bad.

Having said that I have never shot, handled or saw a Savage rimfire shoot. If they shoot as good as there centerfires do you should be just fine.

Just remember that there is a reason so many Marlin rifles are out there in use. Besides being dirt cheap to buy they are great guns.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have a marlin bolt .22 mag. It is a tack driver.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have a Marlin 22 mag. As accurate as I can shoot. I've also had a Savage .17hmr. The only reason I could see buying a Savage over a Marlin is for the accu trigger. That said, I still own the Marlin, The Savage is gone. I don't miss the Savage, but I miss that trigger.

·
Registered
889 Posts
For the same price as a Savage or Marlin you can pick up a good used Remington 581(or close to it in price). Look around for one. The Remington is a better rifle. And they are out there. Just take your time. I just bought a nice used lefty. Tom.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
My Rem. is a 582 good gun to me but my Marlin 22mag gets out more and it shoot great stainless mod.882 4x12x40 i will do something with trigger sometime but for now i don't want to mess with it,I'm gonna say best 22 i've ever had....later

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a 22 mag marlin. Everyone should have one. An tack driver time after time. I love it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
inherited a marlin micro groove 22 mag with a laminated stock from my uncle when he passed... tack driver is right... it loves 30gr vmax's

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
geez...starting to think we should have a Marlin 22mag forum LOL...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am leaning towards the Marlin right now but the Henry lever action has now caught my attention, it has great reviews. What to do?????

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also am a huge fan of marlin rimfires. I shoot a 782 .22 mag and it is amazingly accurate. I've never known one to be lacking in the accuracy department. Buy a marlin, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am picking up the Marlin 981TS from Cabelas Saturday. It is a bolt action with tubular magazine and synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel. $30 coupon brings it to $219. Thanks everyone that replied.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts