The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i told my son that i'd get him a 22 to start off shooting with once tax time comes.Anyways i'd like to get him a bolt action and preferably one with a scope already on it,so my question is what would be a decent one to look at,not sure how much i want to spend but i'd say $200 or less.Thanks

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny i was just looking at both,the 981T and Mark II Can you get these with scopes as a package/combo ?

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
Sethwood said:
Savage. Inexpensive (Yeah...cheap) but very accurate.
I think they do have a package with a scope.

Dick's ususally has some good deals on Savage.

BTW try to get a Mark II with the accu-trigger.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Which ever gun you buy, do this. Shell out a few more bucks and buy about 10 different brands of ammo. Everything from the cheapest stuff on the shelf to a box or two of match grade. Then to the range to find out what the gun likes.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i have a ruger 77/22 and its awesome. but its twice what you are looking to spend. i was looking for a decent 22 for one of my boys and found a remington 582 made in 1973 for $219. it shoots as good as my ruger and shoots the cheap ammo better than the ruger. dime size groups at 40 yards with a cheap scope. trigger is nice. they are not a fancy gun but they have a really good reputation and are kind of classic looking. the 582 is tube feed. they also made a 580 that was the same but single shot and the 581 which is the same but clip fed. my tastes lean more towards vintage firearms so that is why it appealed to me more than the new savages and marlins. its a gun that my kids can pass down to their kids someday. i will be buying another when i see it.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks folks looks like the Savage is going to be the one.Why should i get the one with the accu-trigger? And one more question seems the Mark 2 comes in a variety of models any opinions on which to get?

·
Registered
25,517 Posts
A kid may get tired of carrying the heavy barrel version, if hunting is the primary reason for having the rifle? Most "pencil barrel" 22s shoot as well as the heavy barrel ones, so my opinion would be go for the sporter barrel.

Wood or synthetic stock, matter of choice. The synthetic will abide a bit more youthful abuse, than the wood handle.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I used to have one of the savage's that walmart sells for around $100. Very accurate gun, but it had a problem ejecting the spent casings. It was like they would stick or something. Had a gunsmith look at it, and was told he could find nothing wrong with it.It didn't matter if you worked the bolt easy or hard,about 50percent of the time it wouldn't eject.Ammo brand did not make a difference either.My brother in law also bought one and his has the same problem, though not as frequent as mine was.He still has his, I sold mine at a yard sale for $75 and told the guy it had issues,but he still bought it. It came with a simmons 4x scope and had a black plastic stock on it and no accu trigger. I see they still sell them, though not exactly sure if it the same model as I don't want another one with a plastic stock.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts