The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have fiddled with trapping foxes and with using an electric call.
When using the electric call, I always used a shotgun, rendering the hides unsaleable.

Here's my question: what type of 22 and 22 mag ammo do you recommend? Solid lead or hollow point?

My goal is to harvest foxes in order to sell the pelts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
631 Posts
if your using a 22lr you need hyper velocity ammo, (stay away from the remington golden bullet, as i learned this the hard way), your good to 50 yrds max. and you need to be able to make ear shots. this year i'm upgrading as i found reds dont like to come in close like the greys do, they behave more like a yote.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
a shotgun should not make a fox pelt useless. fox are sold fur out and a shotgun blast is typically unnoticeable...i shot one in the head at 20yds with copper plated #4s..you couldnt tell...its hanging on my shelf now and you still cant tell.

my buddy shot the same fox with #4 buck. 1 or 2 pellets hit it..those holes opened up when tanned but still didnt ruin the fur..

if you are having troubles shoot them farther out or use a different load...

cant help with a 22 or 22 mag...

i dispatch with a 22 and shoot them behind the shoulder and sometimes get an exit with regular ole bulk 22lr ammo..

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Remington stingers and the size of the holes in a fox pelt?

Still have a couple boxes of this bullet type.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If your shotgun is ruining them try using turkey loads, or I use winchester hevishot stuff in a B shot size. It is made for coyotes but I doubt it will desroy a fox. Otherwise im sure any 22 will work they arnt very big. I like minimag hp in 22lr or just about any 22mag will deffinitly work. when I was about 10 I killed a fox with my pump up benjamin 22 airrifle shot it in the ribs and it droped right there lol doesnt take much.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
artsmag10 said:
When using the electric call, I always used a shotgun, rendering the hides unsaleable.

Here's my question: what type of 22 and 22 mag ammo do you recommend? Solid lead or hollow point?

Thanks.
I use both and have no problems shoot them in the head or throat.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
a shot gun does not ruin the hide at all. if calling at night id stick with the shotty esp. for greys. the boys shot a few greys this year all with shotguns and they brought the same price at the sale as the ones i trapped that had no holes at all. i would take the time to have someone who knows about putting up fur show you how.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Have had good luck with cci gamepoint...switched to 40gr winchester jhp this year they have worked great...stay away from cci maxi mag hp have lost a few with them seems like they tend to splatter and not penetrate when hitting bone

·
Banned
621 Posts
artsmag10 said:

Thanks.
I will tell you which ones NOT to use. The Federal Premium & CCI with the 30gr Speer TNT bullet. They WILL drop a fox in its tracks but you would swear you hit it with a .357 mag.

I have used Hornady 30gr Vmax. it is very accurate but I have not killed anything with it yet. If the bullet reacts like most Vmax type it'll go in small and frag not leaving an exit wound. Otherwise I would use a FMJ but expect 2 holes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts