The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a left handed shooter, and unfortunately that doesn't give me lot of options when shopping for rifles.. I'm looking for one that will be used for deer, coyotes, ground hogs, etc.. So I'm kinda leaning towards 308. with a short barrel, but I love how fast a 22-250 shoots.. One I found was a Howa Aximon (but it only comes in RH). Trying to not go over $750.. You guys have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I'm a left-hand shooter as well. I'd look at Savage and Tikka and consider those in .243 or .260 for the variety of hunting you describe. Both cartridges are based on the .308 case with a whole lot less recoil and noise. Of the 2 calibers you mention...22-250. But I wouldn't consider it a great deer round.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I know its all about the ammo you use and shot placement but last year i hunted with some guys hunting with 22-250 and 3 different deer were hit hard in the shoulder or neck that produced a lot of blood but no dead deer. Personally id go with the 308

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would go 308 will give you an option to hunt bear too if you so desire, ammo is readily available good for distance shooting on groundhogs and not terrible recoil

short barrel it will be loud but wear hearing protection and you'll be fine

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
i love both. 22-250 just cause its fun to shoot. buy the 308 now and save up to buy the 22-250 next yr

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
I'd do the .243 or 6mm they are great deer calibers. The are very good varment rounds 75 grain bullet for light stuff 100 for deer. Can't go wrong.

·
Registered
903 Posts
You say you like the speed of the 22-250. Have you seen the 243 55 grain ballistic's. Not knocking the 22-250. No animal is going to know a 300fps difference. I use a 243 55 grain for groundhogs and 95 grain for deer.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
I'd go with the 308...speed doesn't kill. Learn to put the bullet where it needs to go. If you want a varmint gun later get one..

A "deer rifle" will kill varmints no problem....a varmint gun can kill deer...don't get me wrong...but can be troublesome...gotta have the right bullet and right shot placement..

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Tikka in 308 if it has to be one of those calibers. they are great guns. I got my dad a 270 tikka t3 hunter in LH and its awesome

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
I shoot LH to.. Buy a 308 Encore rifle and a 22250 barrel too... I really like the Encore system.. Actually the 24 inch 22250 Encore barrel shoots the .224 60 Partition bullet so accurate... I do reload.. There is factory ammo out there in the 22250 that is designated as a deer round..

·
Super Moderator
4,848 Posts
If you reload a 22-250 will do it with a larger grain bullet.Speer makes a 70 grain that would work.If you don't reload any ammo you find will most likely be varmint ammo,after all it was called 22 varminter when it came out as a wildcat round.Same thing about reloading versus buying loaded ammo applies the 308 except you won't likely find varmint ammo.Then there is the 243 as mentioned.Varmint and deer ammo can be found already loaded for both.You mention how fast a 22-250 is but then you want a short barrel.Short barrels drop velocity,longer barrels increase it.Most data is from a 24" test barrel,above or below that in barrel length expect an increase or decrease.Most people read a box and it states 3900 FPS.So they tell people I'm shooting 3900 FPS.Nope never happens.I have a chrono,if I tell you I'm shooting 3900 FPS I am.Most people that shoot don't have the means to back up FPS claims.Accuracy is ten times more important than velocity.Also if you reload you should have a chrono so you know when to stop when working up a load.I bought one for that reason from info gathered from others on this site.I thank them for that advice too_Oh by the way the Savage model 11/111 trophy hunter xp comes in 22-250 or 243 left handed.Under your price cap with a Nikon scope.I have a 16 in 204 Ruger and can make 200 yard shots with that scope.Good luck and wish you the best.Let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
182 Posts
on rifle brand, have you looked at ruger quite an offering of LH rifles. could probably find a used Ruger M77 for under 750 or a new ruger american just over $400. i haven't shot the ruger american yet but I love my M77's and have heard that the American has very acceptable accuracy out of the box

·
Registered
461 Posts
I to feel the 22-250, is not a real good choice for deer,308 is a good all round caliber. but take a good hard look at the 7mm08, just an ideal caliber for what you want to do.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'd have to agree with what others have said. If you are looking for a "do everything" gun look at the .243-6.5mm cartridges. Depending on what you look at you can find ammo/bullets under 100gr for varmint and 100gr+ for deer. I have a 6.5 Grendel AR that I have been playing around with 120gr+ bullets, but I could start loading it up with 90gr if I wanted something lighter and faster. I am currently waiting to get my rebarreled Mauser back from the smith in 6.5 Swede. I would put either of those against a chuck or deer in this state, if I could.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You want a "do-all" rifle. For the typical Northeastern hunter, that means a .243 or maybe a .25-06. There are other calibers that would do (6mm, .250 savage, .257 Roberts, .260), but they would be harder to find in a left hand action.

Will

·
Registered
21,375 Posts
I picked up a box of 55 gr barnes ttsx and loaded them just to tinker.They shot well in my son's Kimber .223.He wanted to use it for deer just because he wanted to kill a deer with it.We killed two with it and quite honestly,they both dropped in their tracks.It wasn't much different than any other caliber.I was kinda surprised with the results but we weren't using varmint ammo either.I'd still take a .308 over just about any other.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts