The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at getting a .22-250 for some predator hunting and I was wondering if you all had suggestions on a brand and model. Not looking at expensive models, but so far I was looking at the offerings from Weatherby, Tikka and Savage. I'm looking for a lighter gun, I'm not into the heavey barrels that most varmit guns have. What do you all recommend?

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I have Remington and Savage....My M700 and M7 Rems have 1/14 twist and my Savage 10s have 1/12

All shoot excellent....My suggestion would be a Savage 10 package deal if looking for a little better quality gun.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Currently there is a Rem. model 7 SS in a 22-250 listed in the classified. This may fit your needs

·
Registered
536 Posts
Lighter gun.......hands down.....the Tika. I have had several, accurate, good trigger compared to others from factory and vertical tuneable.

·
Registered
750 Posts
All are good choices, Savage is really doing some nice work lately for the cost of the rifle, however, for the choice I would hands down pick the Tikka. I tried one years ago and am very happy with it, are you set on the 22 250? I have one in 243 that I've used for deer and varmints. Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought a Tikka last year and am very satisfied with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,837 Posts
I belive tikka offers one in a fast twist.

Anything 1:9 or faster would let you shoot heavy for caliber bullets in addition to more standard light bullets too. Get the faster twist.

Most 22-250’s are ham-strung by a 1:12 or 1:14 twist that requires light bullets.

Get a fast twist and you’ve got more options.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
If you like a rifle you are not afraid to bang around and is exceptionally accurate I would opt for a Ruger American. Everyone I have shot has been a tack driver.

Reactions: Tater86

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a Tikka T3 Lite in a .223 and love the gun. I'm looking at purchasing the same gun in a larger caliber.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Bought a Tikka 243 years ago for a predator rifle because of the action. Now I have a 06, 17hmr and my wife picked up a 7mm08. All shot good.

Reactions: Tater86

·
Registered
20,907 Posts
The most accurate rifle I ever owned was a Tikka in 22-250.The second most accurate was a Tikka in 25-06.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
If you like VERY INEXPENSIVE, and EXCELLENT ACCURACY, then you'll love Thompson Center. I own both a Venture in 223 (1 in 12" twist) and a Compass in 223 with a fast twist (1 in 9" twist). I considered a 22-250 when I was buying the Compass but it's not available with a fast twist and I definitely wanted to shoot heavier bullets for the retained energy at longer ranges. With the faster twist in the 223 Compass and the ability to stabilize heavier bullets it out preforms the 22-250 at longer ranges. Not trying to change your mind, just something to consider depending on how far you want to shoot.
Both my Venture and Compass shoot well under 1" groups at 100yds consistently. Here is a link to a thread I did on the Compass. https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/37...90173-thompson-center-compass-5-56-223-a.html

Added: Here also is a thread I did on a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 creedmoor. Another good off the rack inexpensive rifle. But personally, I've been much more satisfied with Thompson Center. https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/30-firearm-forum/159985-ruger-american-predator-6-5-creedmoor.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Savage AXIS 2 Comes with a Scope 3x9 Priced right will not break your bank either the Axis is very accurate right out of the Box also Check it out at Bud's Guns on line great prices free shp also

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have a remington 700 BDL 22-250 with a 3x9 nikon scope. Sweet varmint gun, shoots great. Alittle on the heavy side but really accurate. When you miss its not the guns fault....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts