The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 700 VS in .22-250. I'm shooting 50 hornady vmax moly coated, 35 grs of imr 4064 my necks are spliting. I used to shoot 37 grs.but I lowered it because they were sticking alittle. looking for help and an other powder.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Your split necks are a sign of poorly annealed brass or cases which have been loaded many times, not high pressure....Your sticky bolt lift, loose primer pockets or blown/pierced primers are usually the first indication of too-hot loads....

35 gr of IMR 4064 is warm in a .22/250, especially if your bullet is close to or contacting the lands...37 is too hot...my Swifts groan at 39.5...

Betting you're using Remington brass? Try Winchester or Lapua brass before switching powders....

H380 is the classic powder....Cooper uses it to test their .22/250s, FWIW....

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
A moly 50 grain V-max and 34.5 grains of IMR 4064 will take out any groundhog you'd care to shoot at..also with stand W/W lrp.mine will shoot sub half inch groups all day long with that load..I've used it in competition at local pa groundhog matches and won a ton of matches with it and that's out to 500 yards.. 4064 seems to be the ticket no matter what bullet you put in front of it...I've tried all know powders and never found one better overall than it..stay away from ball powders, it'll drive you crazy with the temperature variances..

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
While I hate to be the bad seed.I'm going with 55 grain Sierra Blitz Kings with 32.5 grains of IMR 4895 and Federal 210 match primers.I will adjust up or down from there.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I load 35grs of IMR 4895 under a 50gr V-Max or Ballistic Tip.

·
Registered
25,784 Posts
34grs of IMR 4064; 55gr Btips; R-P Cases and CCI 200 primers for me. Been so for many, many years. No complaints, lots of dead rodents, zero case life issues.

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
It comes down to what does your gun like to eat.I was given this gun and his 3 shot groups at 2OO yards were 9/16 of an inch.I have his targets and records for the gun.I will add the man can shoot better than I ever will.He has a dog tag with his name on it and sniper beside it.He never was in the military he paid to take a test.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Every gun has it's preference that is for sure.

·
Registered
25,784 Posts
Been using CCI primers for over 30 years, but lots of folks prefer others.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
22250....I like to reload for that.. No matter what powder are recommended on the charts they all group well in my guns. H380 is good, IMR 4320, The new XBR IMR powder works great too... If a 22250 could talk it would probably say "I never met a gun powder that I didn't like." Yep everyone should own a 22250. Factory ammo shoots well too..My guns..a model 788 and a Encore 24 inch T/C off the shelf barrel..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts