The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across a "for sale" add for a .219 Donaldson Wasp.Apparently it was a popular bench round in the '40s and '50s.
Honestly,I've never even heard of it!!!
Just curious to see if any folks on here have one or know anything about it. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
The .219 Wasp..haven't heard that in many years! A friend of mine who passed away in 1981 used that caliber for woodchucks,a real screamer and accurate. The only problem was "burning" out the barrels...

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Wasp was an improved 219 Zipper. based on the 30-30 case it is rimmed. Mr. Donaldson devepoped it in the '30.

It is very accurate, and won lots of benchrest comp even into the 1960s. It was well suited to the Krag and lots were rebarreled, most also made single shots as part of the conversion. with a 45 gr slug, you can get about 3800 fps. Similiar to the 219 AI Zipper.

the increased popularity of Sprigfields and mauser style rifles caused the Zipper and the Wasp to disappear, because these actions cn't handle rimmed case well. The 222 and 222 magnum replaced it.

These pop up at gun shows often, usually at a bargain, if you like the extra work of reloading for it.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I heard of the Wasp and the Zipper (of course because I grew up reading Don Lewis)

·
Registered
156 Posts
fordman99 said:
I just came across a "for sale" add for a .219 Donaldson Wasp.Apparently it was a popular bench round in the '40s and '50s.
Honestly,I've never even heard of it!!!
Just curious to see if any folks on here have one or know anything about it. Thanks!!!
I saw a very nice .219 Donaldson Wasp in a Texas pawn shop around December that was marked very high. Great looking rifle, but they were proud of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts