The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been kicking around the idea in my head about building a .218. Anyone ever mess around with one?

·
Registered
18,426 Posts
The only thing I know about the .218 Bee is that a box of factory ammo costs about as much as my truck!

·
Banned
462 Posts
beagler said:
The only thing I know about the .218 Bee is that a box of factory ammo costs about as much as my truck!
Yep was at the gun shop a few weeks ago when a guy came in and asked for a box of 218 bee, everyone within ear shot looked at this guy like he had 2 heads and the gun shop owner acted like the guy was buying a $2k gun and he couldnt get the only box of 218 bee ammo he keeps in stock dug off the bottom shelf and wipe off that dust fast enough....I guess a $97 before taxes box of ammo is nearly as good in his eyes, but atleast your getting 50 shells!

·
Super Moderator
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cost of brass is much cheaper....
Definately a reloaders cartridge

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Why not look into the .221 fireball?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I saw a box of Winchester .218 Bee ammunition today at a
gunshop. Didnt ask the price, but I cant remember the last
time I saw ammo for sale in this caliber.

·
Super Moderator
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bigben said:
Why not look into the .221 fireball?
Already have one as well as a 222. Have always had a interest in the bee....

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Oh. Its an interesting little caliber. I have been thinking about geting a 300 whisper barrel cause its a neat little caliber. The bee should do good for fur.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Ive got a bee. Never purchased a box of ammo for it. Ive always reloaded. Ive killed squirrels, coons, and even took it out for deer years ago. Worked wonderfully on all game. I like 45gr soft points.

·
Banned
234 Posts
The ballistics look like they might be better on fur than say a 223 or bigger. But I don't know if it will be as fur friendly on fox as say some of the 17's or the 22 hornet.

Definately seems like a decent little something different to have in the gun cabinet and to take out calling.

·
Super Moderator
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Furtaker Ron said:
The ballistics look like they might be better on fur than say a 223 or bigger. But I don't know if it will be as fur friendly on fox as say some of the 17's or the 22 hornet..
Ballistics is the main thing that makes it appealing. As far as being fur friendly proper bullet selection is more important then the cartridge. Imo

·
Registered
927 Posts
Oh and what make/ year is your rifle? Id like to see a picture I like older stuff like that. thanks

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I got some 218 ammo fairly cheap from Sportsmans guide I believe..HSM...I think I paid, like $15/ box of 20....Acccurate out of my Winchester 43..

·
Super Moderator
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The bee is 22cal. Don't have any pictures cause I don't own one yet...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Got a Contender Bulberry bbl. (carbine), dies and brass, just never got to it. Cool, and useful, old cartridge - in between the Hornet and the Fireball. Would really like a lever action and a Low Wall (or one of those mini Sharps) in it some day.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I have a few Bees. It is a finicky little cartridge that I have found to be more difficult to find an accurate load for than with a Hornet.

Its performance mirrors the Hornet's despite it being a couple hundred fps faster. It's pretty much an orphan these days....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts