The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking about the up coming elk permit drawing and was looking through the regs and for the first time noticed that a muzzle loader must be shooting a projectile of at least 210 grains. My 490 balls for my 50 cal flintlock are only 177 Grains. This is terrible. I'm going to have to buy another flintlock. A 54 cal. flintlock. :grin2: Yeah, I know I could just get myself some powerbelts or some maxi hunters. But my wife doesn't know that. >:):smile2:

Wonder whats up over at Dixie gun works. :smile_big:

·
Premium Member
23,613 Posts
I think Todd Plank here took an elk with his flinter. Not sure if it was a 50 or 54 but sorta remember he was using conicals not round balls?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
heck you might as well just go to a 324 gr rb in a .62 cal:wink2:

All kidding aside, that BP, has been seriously considered. Tough find in left hand through.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't put in for the Elk hunt BUT I do have a TC Big Boar 58 cal that would work with RB's.

I'm just curious, what made you buy that 58 cal? Going for moose or big bear?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know a guy....

I know you do sir. :smile2: But a custom build is out of my reach. Maybe if I sold her jeep.:plain: No, cant do it. Id hate myself. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I actually know more than one...

You might wanna pm Mauser06 on here. He's been building some pretty decent stuff for a newer builder.

I also know he's got a 58 cal built from a Kibler kit he probably would sell.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks TDD. I kind of remember talking with Mauser06 sometime back. Wonder if that 58 is a left hand rifle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
First I ever thought about that.....a 50 cal rb not being legal for elk!:surprise2: A .530 54 rb will weigh around 225. Or of course...you could get yourself a 45 lb bow as they're legal for PA Elk!! lol

Are you the same Loggy that had a membership in the old CVA Board?
Ah'!..... the good ol' days with Randy Wakeman, Toby Bridges........etc.

I am not a new arrival here. Formerly TripleSe7en.

·
Premium Member
23,613 Posts
Are you the same Loggy that had a membership in the old CVA Board?
Ah'!..... the good ol' days with Randy Wakeman, Toby Bridges........etc.

I am not a new arrival here. Formerly TripleSe7en.
Hi T-7!!!! Been a long time. Yes...me the same ol' Loggy!! Those were the good ol' days for sure!!:smile2: Hey...this site is a good place to rekindle the fires plus if you have any buddies be sure to tell them about HPA.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
heck you might as well just go to a 324 gr rb in a .62 cal
I have 2 lefties a .62 AMartin and a .66 smoothrifle I built.....if you get chosen for a tag your more than welcome to use em as long as I can tag along on the hunt...lol

The.66 uses a .640 roundball. That's over 350 grains

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
.....if you get chosen for a tag your more than welcome to use em as long as I can tag along on the hunt...lol

Okay BlackBruin, the odds aren't good but who knows, I feel kinda lucky this year. :smile_big:

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Since I was mentioned....

I do have a Kibler Colonial rifle in 58cal. I don't plan to keep it once it's finished.... But unfortunately it's right handed. He doesn't do anything in lefty as of now.

I bought it as a study piece to help me through my first plank build.

Someone asked why a 58cal. I've gone to a 58cal in my new personal hunting rifle I'm finishing up as well. I've never liked the 50cal round ball. Killed deer. Just never got an exit. I like 2 holes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts