The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Not a thing wrong with the 45 caliber. Especially if you are a conical shooter. There are more good conicals available for 45's than there are 50 calibers. That is if you pour your own.

The 45 round ball is a bit lighter, but still deadly. And if you shoot sabots then there is really no difference at all. You can shoot alot of the same bullets in the 45 and 50 caliber with sabots.

It mostly comes down to simple availability. And 50 caliber is a good all around caliber. But a lot of guys like the 54. Especially round ball shooters. Tom.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
My long rifles are .45 or smaller, a deer is just as dead with a .45 hole through both lungs as a .50.

Its all about shot placement, some think a big cal with lots of powder overcomes accuracy. Not true IMHO.

As HOGGHEAD posted, when you cast your own you have a lot of choices.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
a couple of months ago in the game new mag they did a balistic on a 45 and a 50 if i remember right the 45 was just as good or a little better at 50 yrds then the 50 took over if somebody has the game new mag it might have been 3/4 months ago

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Oldtimer6304 said:
Is the 209X45 enough gun? All I see in posts are 209X50's what is the problem with the .45? Thanks
No problem with a 45. A 50 just offers a lil more energy plus better selection of bore sized projectiles, sabots, accessories etc. If i couldnt buy a 50 or 54...a 45 would be my next choice in a big game ML offering if going down.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Obviously a 45 ML will kill a deer.

One add'l point...a 45 would be illegal to hunt Pa Elk if you were ever lucky enuff to be drawn. Only 50 Caliber's & larger MLers allowed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts