The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want opinions on this gun for these animals. I'm not worried about. 204 ammo cost. I just want a long range flat shooting gun.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Depending on where you hit them, you can tear a fox in half. Coyotes it works great, and it makes a mess out of pasture grizzlies.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Shot a g'hog with a 204 right in the ear at 157 yds.
Never came out the other side.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The 204 is not a long range but a mid range gun..Long range performers carry heavier bullets such as 223 or 22-250 or 220 SWIFT or 243..

·
Registered
927 Posts
Pasture Grizzlies! lol Im loading 32gr vmax with 27gr varget powder at about 3550fps. its just a recomended starting load but it shouldbt be unfreindly to the fur, i have shot only one fox with mine from 75 yards with a 45 gr sp and it did hardly any damage for a what I expected.

·
Registered
927 Posts
A guy I work with takes his vacation to ND to shoot prarie dogs, he claims to have killed tyem from over 1100 yards with a 204 but im not sure that is bs

·
Registered
602 Posts
Those tikkas are nice guns...id say go 223 over 204 but who knows when you'll be able to find 223 ammo again...can't find a box anywhere and I'm running alittle low. As for pasture grizzlies lol I call them land beavers

·
Registered
602 Posts
Out past 200 yards 223 carries more energy and handles the wind alittle better...plus a lot cheaper to shoot if you can ever find ammo again. If your not worried about fur damage 22-250 is a good all around varmint caliber

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
cm20, are you just assuming that the .223 is better in the wind and? Because that's false for the most part. The .204 is actually better in the wind in most cases, and energy isn't too far off wither, if you compare bullets of the same weight, or close to the same weight.

·
Registered
602 Posts
just speaking from personal experience, have had both did not like the 204...the 223 was a much better all around gun for me but again thats just my personal opinion im not trying to bash anyones 204...much larger bullet selection including the higher grain (77gr etc.) if your targeting yotes at longer ranges (300 plus which is a huge rarety in pa) i just dont trust the 204 out that far. Also most 204s come with a 24 or 26 inch barrel needed to get the high velocity out of them=long heavy gun, not my idea of a good varmint gun. Im not trying to argue with anyone nor do i want to start getting technial (compare ballistic coefficient/exterior ballistics/terminal ballistics and so on) i was just voicing my own opinion bottom line is under 250 yards varmint hit with 204=dead, varmint hit with 223=just as dead all comes down to what you want

·
Registered
373 Posts
Have you seen this gun(.204) for sale or are you going by Tikka's website.A lot of Tikkas are not imported into the U.S.Its a shame because I would have a couple more

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a gun dealer told me they sold out and i'd have about a 4 month wait. cabelas carries the varmint in. 223 and the 22.250. tikka does not import the tikka t3 super vsrmint it has an adjustable cheek pad and 1 other upgrade over the regular t3 varmint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts