The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! Been discussing with the bf who knows a lot about everything hunting about which gun I should get for beginning? I went out hunting with him last year but just used his guns. We hunt deer, coyotes, waterfowl, and turkeys. I'm aware there's not a one-all solution, but would like the best for me. I think we're most concentrated on coyotes right now bc he has 2 deer guns. So .204 or .223? I'm 5'8" so length isn't a huge problem but I'm still a girl so lighter the better
. Opinions please with reasoning so I can learn why! Thanks!

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I would also go with the .223.The ammo is always on sale for peanuts.They both are great rounds but I like the good ole .223 better and it will save you alot on ammo over the long haul.Good luck.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
By far the .204. I like the flatter trajectory, and higher velocity. Either would be a good choice though, and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
378 Posts
case size and recoil is nearly the same ( my loads contain the same powder charge 27.1 gr of varget) so as I see it, it comes down to what each will do...204 is smaller diameter bullet and have less bullet weight 35 or 40 grain bullet so it has better ballistics and shoots much faster. The .223 bullets tend to be sold in higher grain (weight) bullets 55,62,65 grain and more. The 223 in turn is slower and will drop much more at all distances. Unless you plan on shooting great distance the drop will not be a factor ( 300 plus yards).

All that said I would suggest the .223 because ammo is much cheaper and can always be found with tons of bullet choices. The .204 will cost much more per box and not sold at every gun shop.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
.204, Flatter, faster(Less Compensation) A little more expensive but an all around great round.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I like dashers thinking. Could go with like a .243 or 7-08. Could hunt anything from groundhogs to deer with those guns.

·
Registered
397 Posts
.223 with out a doubt last year i got a white tail doe here in Pa she was 70 yards away one good barnes bullet to the heart and lungs and she only went about 30 yards and expired . i have numerouse ground hog.kills atthe 500 yard mark so im sayin 223

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
This is a .223 and .204 thread.We could be here forever if you want to bring up other cals.Besides,my 25-06 got your 22-250 beat hands down.Ha Ha.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
.243 can do most anything here in PA but it may tear up the hide on furbearers though. I have one and a 7mm-08 as well. The 7-08 with 100/120 grainers is very light recoil and 140 grainers are good for deer.

I think a .223 is a good economical light rifle which could even do deer with the right loads. Trajectory differences are not that great between these calibers as long as you shoot it enough to get used to it. I think a .243 using 100 grains for everything here in PA (excluding black bear) would be a great choice and never be overgunned or undergunned. For Men, Women and children.

·
Registered
857 Posts
6-DASHER said:
NEITHER !!! Get the same model in 22/250...it will do anything both of those will do and more..
.22-250 is a GREAT round so don't get me wrong BUT the .204 just about matches it!

.22-250 has a slight edge with energy but MV and trajectory go to the .204! Not to mention lessrecoil and muzzle blast and it'll kill varmint and pred's "dedder then a doornail" !

So, don't knock it till ya try it! LOL

As for the OP's question...out of the 2 you listed...go with the .223 if you wanna stay cost effective! The .204 is awfully hard to beat though and is my personal fav.!
(and I have all 3 that were mentioned in this reply!)

·
Registered
813 Posts
243 with a 58gr bullet shoots 4000 fps with most knockdown power and least drop vs a 22-250 204 or 223 or 223wssm also you can throw a 100gr in and use it for deer one of the only good double duty guns predator and deer.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
The more you use a particular rifle the more experianced and confident you will be with it. .204 would just be for coyotes and woodchucks. .223, .22-250, or .243 for that matter with the correct ammo could do woodchucks, coyotes, and deer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts