The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just put my vacation request in. 11/05 through 11/15

I'm pretty darn excited and cannot wait to sit some of my favorite rut stands. When are you guys scheduling your Rutcation?

·
Registered
11,420 Posts
First and 3rd week of November for me . Hopefully that last week is as good as last year . I was seeing multiple bucks cruising on almost every hunt .

·
Registered
181 Posts
Im burning 2 weeks in Oct. for a wyoming elk hunt. My rutcation is just going to consist of a few days here and there. Ill be thankful for any days in the stand.

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
11/3 through 11/14 for me this year. It was slow for me last year. Hopefully this year, I see some good rut activity.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
It was Oct 29-Nov 17 until I just had to up and get a new job. Praying I can get the 5-14, but we will see.

·
Registered
11,420 Posts
W

Was that third week really that good??
Yes it was but I could of just been in a particular spot where the planets and stars all aligned . It honestly was a bit of a painful experience for me because my buck tag was already filled and I had bucks walking by me that I would of got mounted . My first 3 or 4 hunts I didn’t even see a doe . Just bucks cruising and on my very last sit on the last day I had chasing going on all around me for hours . I wasn’t hunting a funnel either . Just sitting on a point about a quarter of a mile back in the mountains. Also did a couple all day sits and was even witnessing 3.5 or 4.5 year olds cruising in the middle of the afternoon.
Really have no explanation for this and I am not going to bank on having that type of experience again this season. I am probably way off but my theory is I just happened to be in a area with a lot of bucks that were coming off lockdown and most of the doe in the area were already bred making them have to search harder .

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it was but I could of just been in a particular spot where the planets and stars all aligned . It honestly was a bit of a painful experience for me because my buck tag was already filled and I had bucks walking by me that I would of got mounted . My first 3 or 4 hunts I didn’t even see a doe . Just bucks cruising and on my very last sit on the last day I had chasing going on all around me for hours . I wasn’t hunting a funnel either . Just sitting on a point about a quarter of a mile back in the mountains. Also did a couple all day sits and was even witnessing 3.5 or 4.5 year olds cruising in the middle of the afternoon.
Really have no explanation for this and I am not going to bank on having that type of experience again this season. I am probably way off but my theory is I just happened to be in a area with a lot of bucks that were coming off lockdown and most of the doe in the area were already bred making them have to search harder .
Are you going to hunt that same area on that third week?

·
Registered
11,420 Posts
Are you going to hunt that same area on that third week?
Without a doubt . I just hope no one else moves in . The only reason why I discovered that spot is because I had a group of guys move in on me not far away from there and basically covered the whole area with ladder stands. Ended up pushing further down the mountain into a valley which I usually try to avoid because of swirling winds . Because of the topography however in that particular spot I am able to make the prevailing wind and thermals work for me . It’s also great to get to because I don’t have to cross any trails and can remain hidden until I climb up out of a dried up creek bed right to the base of my tree . Great 360 degree visual when I get set up .

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I would take the third week of November hands down. That is if your target is a top-end buck. If you’re interested in filling your tag with any buck, then I’d say first week of November.

·
Registered
99% archer 1% suppressed rifle.
121 Posts
I'm currently off October 1st through November 22. I love working OT for comp time, and being on the junior shift where the book is pretty much open year round minus some major holidays and prime summer vacation slots.

One point I’d like to make for clarification I like being on a Junior shift and having the seniority that I have.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I'm at camp 10/30-11/7 and going to try to get there again 11/12-11/15.

Locally I'll try and get out as much as possible.

·
Registered
271 Posts
November 5-14 for me, had alot of action 11-13 last year, hoping for the same this year.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Never. Im a few hour hunter at best. Usually after a couple hours the charge in my headphones wears out and im ready to leave anyway.
I cant stand sitting there on a slow day watching my money go down the tubes. If i could score in the first sit of the season that would be heavenly.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts