The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I are starting to put our heads together for a 2021 Colorado elk hunt. Unit 54. Looking to apply for 1st season but with him having zero points the odds are against us, so it may turn into a second season over the counter license.

This hunt will consist of leading horses up the mtn to our camp then use the horses on top the mtn to travel and hunt from.

I'm looking at possibly purchasing a seek outdoors hot tent. This is a TP style with a stove.
I need to purchase Scabbard, Panniers, and Saddle Bags for the horse.
I think I have most other items to make the trip with.

What kind of cooler do you guys recommend?
Been wanting to get a small day cooler for use around the house but also thinking about the future as the family grows and I go on more hunting trips, id like to get a bigger one to store meat in etc.

What other recommendations do you all have. Things that have worked or didn't work out for you?

I have hunted Colorado 2 times (2011, 2012) in the same area I plan to go in 2021. My buddy wants to take a group of guys but i want to go out and learn the land more before we increase our camp #. Also it would be tough on me as the only person who has been there before to get 3 -4 other guys comfortable in with the area, saddled up in the morning, and be able to count on them with the daily tasks it takes to hunt / camp on top the Mountain in Colorado.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ok heres my 2 cents I go to Idaho for september achery elk
Cooler any of the high end ones on sale you will need a few for an elk, freeze 1 gallon water jugs fill cooler with them and put on dry ice it will stay cold for a week or more depending on temps
Seek outdoor is a quality company and their titanium stove works great but since you have horses Id go with a bigger one that will hold more wood since weight is less of an issue
As far as takiing others it sounds to me like this is a bad Idea, my reasons you are the only one that has been out their so your now the baby sitter for every one every one I have ever talked about going out west just doesnt get it untill they are their, they dont get in good enough shape, they dont take your advice on how the hunt will play out cause they saw lots of videos and know a lot now
even if they are very good Pa hunters everything they know is mostly worthless out west its just a different game out their
The other issue is planning on them to carry their share of the load lmao I have tried to find guys to go elk hunting and have yet to find 1 that its worked out
The other thing is most guys are 100% in all fall and into the new yr and then drop out happens all the time
any thing else just pm me be happy to give any help I can

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
If you have room in the bed of your truck or in the horse trailer, I’d recommend buying a chest freezer. You can pick up a used one real cheap or even find one at a scrap yard, it doesn’t have to work. I did that for a few trips, it works great. Was able to bring home an elk and two mule deer boned out in it, more convenient than having 5 or 6 coolers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts