The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a little bit of a late start but we got out there by late morning and hunted until about 3:15PM. Probably should've done one more hunt to dusk but I my feet hurt (still packing out the toes in my new foot beds) and we got all season. Hunted one of the NEPA gamelands, hadn't really hunted it before. Had really promising day, we had 9 flushes on 6 different grouse. The 6 birds were 3 singles overall and then a triple flush.

I got completely fooled and taken by surprise on the triple. We hiked a trail up thru a small ridge which then led to a series of food plots for deer, turkeys, etc. My younger dog was coming out of cover and across the small field of clover when she went on point but was flagging a bit. That either means she's not getting direct scent a or its something other than a bird. She relocated a step or two then stopped, was flagging but still seemed unsure. She was a good 25 yards out in the field and I just didn't expect a grouse. As I walked towards the edge of the field. Sonofagun if a grouse doesn't flush and catch me totally by surprise. I turned back looking at her and said good girl, and "rrrrrrr" there goes another one. And "rrrrrrr" a third bird. 2 big lessons got reinforced: trust your dog and always be ready. But hey, we're moving birds, on public land in the Northeast PA region! That triple made it 4 birds flushed in the first hour! I'm really hoping this is a sign thr Northeast region had a good hatch with minimal WNV losses.

Met 2 super nice deer hunters and a bird watcher who was very surprised to see me hunting with a gun. She thought it was only archery right now so didn't have orange on. I told her it's just grouse & woodcock hunters wiyh shotguns out here and we're few and far between. She liked my dogs and they enjoyed the attention and ear scratches as they sucked up to her. Nice lady, we walked the trail a bit together before the dogs & I moved into the cover. Gorgeous day in the woods on public land and we were blessed to move a handful of birds. Hope all my fellow grouse hunters had a good opener too.

·
Registered
24,822 Posts
not just grouse and woodcock... squirrel opened in Sept. & Rabbit opened today . So it was good to let her know.

Glad you enjoyed the day

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knew it and forgot about those two in thr moment.

Did you get out? I'm anxious to hear what people are seeing? Not looking for specific places just wondering if people are moving birds, particularly in areas outside of the Northcentral region.

Oh one of bowhunters I met was heading back in with his wife to get his stand. He killed a buck the day before, late afternoon and he said the coyotes actually followed him out with the deer. He said they were basically on him when he found it so he put it in his cart and didn't gut it until he got out to his truck. And they ate much of the gut pile.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got a little bit of a late start but we got out there by late morning and hunted until about 3:15PM. Probably should've done one more hunt to dusk but I my feet hurt (still packing out the toes in my new foot beds) and we got all season. Hunted one of the NEPA gamelands, hadn't really hunted it before. Had really promising day, we had 9 flushes on 6 different grouse. The 6 birds were 3 singles overall and then a triple flush.

I got completely fooled and taken by surprise on the triple. We hiked a trail up thru a small ridge which then led to a series of food plots for deer, turkeys, etc. My younger dog was coming out of cover and across the small field of clover when she went on point but was flagging a bit. That either means she's not getting direct scent a or its something other than a bird. She relocated a step or two then stopped, was flagging but still seemed unsure. She was a good 25 yards out in the field and I just didn't expect a grouse. As I walked towards the edge of the field. Sonofagun if a grouse doesn't flush and catch me totally by surprise. I turned back looking at her and said good girl, and "rrrrrrr" there goes another one. And "rrrrrrr" a third bird. 2 big lessons got reinforced: trust your dog and always be ready. But hey, we're moving birds, on public land in the Northeast PA region! That triple made it 4 birds flushed in the first hour! I'm really hoping this is a sign thr Northeast region had a good hatch with minimal WNV losses.

Met 2 super nice deer hunters and a bird watcher who was very surprised to see me hunting with a gun. She thought it was only archery right now so didn't have orange on. I told her it's just grouse & woodcock hunters wiyh shotguns out here and we're few and far between. She liked my dogs and they enjoyed the attention and ear scratches as they sucked up to her. Nice lady, we walked the trail a bit together before the dogs & I moved into the cover. Gorgeous day in the woods on public land and we were blessed to move a handful of birds. Hope all my fellow grouse hunters had a good opener too.
Do you hunt 159 outside Homesdale?

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, sorry I haven't made it over to that SGL yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts