The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like 2019 is starting off like 2018 with lots of high water. Made my first trip down the the upper bay this morning. I sat for 20 minutes drinking my coffee watching a couple guys fish the high stained water. Saw a guy get a nice fat 30" on cut bait and that was all it took to get me fishing. Couldn't believe it but I hooked a 21" keeper on my first cast! Beginners luck because I fished about 3 hours until I got the next hit but it was a decent 26". Not bad only had 2 fish but both keepers. The guy fishing cut bait also caught a 34" blue cat. First one of those I ever saw. I was wading up to my waist when I saw a large nasty fish right next to me and it was a snakehead. First time I've ever seen one of those too. Hopefully we get some dry weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,767 Posts
dinner is taken care of.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the boat down to Rock Hall on Friday with a buddy. Fished bunker chunks for 4 hours and got 3 catfish. One was my first blue cat. No stripers -not even a little one and not many other boats. Last year we were limiting within an hour.

Took the same buddy down to the upper bay wade fishing this morning and I quickly landed 2 nice 25" stripers. My buddy took awhile but he limited out with 2 stripers too. There are a good number of nice fish way north. Don't understand why there aren't more down south but I'm not complaining.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the shad run is over but I never fish for them after June 1-the opening of striper in the upper bay

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fished the upper from shore today with my son. We landed about 8 but only had 3 keepers to 26". Also had a nice flathead that we gave to another fisherman. A nice morning

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today was outstanding. Used a headlamp to get to the water in the dark. I sat on the bank finishing my coffee until it just started getting light. I slammed the fish until about 6:30. I landed at least a dozen keeper bass to 27" and had about 6 shorts too. Also landed 2 flathead cats and a fat pig 31" blue cat. I never saw a blue cat until this year and now I already caught 2.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried to do a repeat of Wednesday. The water was higher and stained from last nights rain. Same time, same lure but only 1 short bass, a flathead and another nice blue cat. I tried some of the blue cat I got last time and was very pleasantly surprised. It is probably the best eating catfish compared to channels and flathead.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I tried to do a repeat of Wednesday. The water was higher and stained from last nights rain. Same time, same lure but only 1 short bass, a flathead and another nice blue cat. I tried some of the blue cat I got last time and was very pleasantly surprised. It is probably the best eating catfish compared to channels and flathead.
Never ate a blue but lots of channels and love them!! Look fwd to trying a blue sometime. IMO...those size stripers are far better than those BIG Trophy Hogs!!:smile2:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another great morning wade fishing with my son. A lot of throw back bass this AM but we got 4 keepers 20" to 25" and I caught my 4th blue cat (29.5") of my life. He did out fish me on the bass and he had to wait for his old man to get his limit. Another dawn bite. Was home with the fish cleaned before 9 AM.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still some nice fish in the very upper bay. When the water isn't too high I'm getting 1 to 2 keepers every trip. Got a nice 27" keeper this AM and lost a bigger one. Did a Rock Hall trip with the boat last week and it was very slow. Strange year for Rock Hall for us.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bass are still in the very upper bay. Surprising because the water is very warm. Yesterday and today I went in the heat of the afternoon and got my limit both days. Was glad I was wading in a swim suit to stay cool.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This has been a much better summer for fishing than last year. Not nearly as much rain and fishable conditions every day. Been having some very good trips. My son and I went on Tuesday and we had to land around 30 stripers. Vast majority are short (15-18") but we have been having no problem getting a couple keepers . I did a solo trip on Wednesday and probably landed a dozen up to 24". Starting to see small shad in the stomachs of the keepers so the fishing should be getting better.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its funny how different this year is from last year. Last year almost all of July, August and September was unfishable due to high water. Right now the river is really low. I fished 4 times over the last 2 weeks and had a few small stripers, a couple flatheads and a nice 18" smallmouth. Haven't been seeing much bait. Today I went with low expectations but got into some really nice fish I landed 4 nice ones and lost a nice one. Kept a nice 28 and 24 " for the grill.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last few weeks have been hit or miss with some days getting nothing. Fishing has improved a lot since the last 2 rains. Last dawn trip I got into some walleye, so today I hit it early in the dark with my light rod with a small jig head and paddle tail targeting walleye. In the dark I got slammed and had a ball on my light spinning rod landing a fat 31" striper. A great battle. Kept another at 22". Fished a little past dawn with no walleye but a nice limit of rockfish.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fished in the wind and pouring rain this morning and the bass were active and hitting. Lost a big one when he got around a rock but got 2 keepers and a walleye and released a couple keeper bass. Got soaked but worth it.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts