The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read where the PGC is "considering" an early bear season during the doe only muzzle loader season in Oct. 2019. Archery hunters will be included. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I read that report in the Trib today also. Sounded like they were tossing around a few ideas. It also reported wanting to make bear season the whole week of Thanksgiving. As well as make all seasons in the extended bear season the Mon to Sat thing.
The early season thing was to move the archery bear season up to October the same week as the early ML. Theory was that more bears would be available in case of early denning and the ML hunters could shoot bears also. We'll see what actually pans out.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Monday through Saturday of rifle deer season would be great for us in 4B. Twice over the past 4-5 years we have had bears in bow range on opening day....with the Wednesday bear season start.

We are starting to have bear damage to our fruit trees.....so I am hoping for the season expansions.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The season expansions being talked about would lead to awesome opportunities. I especially like the idea of moving the archery season and opening up a muzzleloader season.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Anything that kills more bears is fine with me. Way too many in the Jim Thorpe area.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Guess I'll finally be buying an in-line.

I listened to the discussion on you-tube and it's a bit scary two of the commissioners actually verbalize they don't care about the data or facts that Ternent will present in January regarding the current population, etc, they just want to whack bears. The one commissioner is basing his opinion on the six sets of bears tracks on a SGL his brother saw one day this season so he doesn't want to hear any actual research or data.

I love to bear hunt, so I'm not rooting for a huge reduction in the bear population as I find it hard enough to find one as it is, but will adapt to whatever they come up with. It would certainly be fun if the resource can support it.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I listened to the discussion on you-tube and it's a bit scary two of the commissioners actually verbalize they don't care about the data or facts that Ternent will present in January regarding the current population, etc, they just want to whack bears. The one commissioner is basing his opinion on the six sets of bears tracks on a SGL his brother saw one day this season so he doesn't want to hear any actual research or data.
It is pretty scary if that's what the commissioner is basing his decision on. There was a time when I thought they listened to the biologists too much. Now I'm not sure they listen enough on some of these issues. I would be in favor of an early ML bear season, but I'm not certain that jumping right in on an entire weeklong season is the right step. A 3 day season to start, see what happens, and adjust from there would suit me better.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I support whatever season they come up with to reduce the population. However, my only concern would be hunters chosing to use poor quality bullets for bear with little to no chance of a follow-up shot.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I support whatever season they come up with to reduce the population. However, my only concern would be hunters chosing to use poor quality bullets for bear with little to no chance of a follow-up shot.
My initial thoughts are that any projectile shot from a M\L being .50 caliber or greater should do the job. Roundballs for flinters go as follows:

.45--128gr.
.50--177gr.
.54--234gr.
.58--270gr.

The 45 caliber may be on the light side, but from .50 caliber and up should work fine.

And using an in-line, most .50 caliber saboted bullets of 200gr and up shoot well and with 400+gr weight, those would be very effective.

MHO

·
Registered
18,195 Posts
why do they want to add so much time to bear season? did they over browse their area ? did all those tracks in the snow scare that guy ?

we dont have enough bears to sustain an increase in harvest that all the additional time will add. we have more deer than bear and thats the excuse people use for adding Sundays and starting an earlier season or adding buck for flinters in October ?

but its OK for Bear ? it seems some people are built upside down.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
My initial thoughts are that any projectile shot from a M\L being .50 caliber or greater should do the job. Roundballs for flinters go as follows:

.45--128gr.
.50--177gr.
.54--234gr.
.58--270gr.

The 45 caliber may be on the light side, but from .50 caliber and up should work fine.

And using an in-line, most .50 caliber saboted bullets of 200gr and up shoot well and with 400+gr weight, those would be very effective.

MHO
Would you trust potentially shooting a large bear with a powerbelt for example? I wouldn't. I've seen multiple times firsthand how they have failed to perform on a 100 pound deer and can only envision what they'll do to a large bear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is pretty scary if that's what the commissioner is basing his decision on. There was a time when I thought they listened to the biologists too much. Now I'm not sure they listen enough on some of these issues. I would be in favor of an early ML bear season, but I'm not certain that jumping right in on an entire weeklong season is the right step. A 3 day season to start, see what happens, and adjust from there would suit me better.
The bear discussion starts at the 11:50 mark in part 2 of the Dec. meeting.

It's worth the listen IMO.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can buy way better bullets then ones you listed check out Leigh bullets, Parker, Pittman, fury, and the whole Tez line of bullets

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Would you trust potentially shooting a large bear with a powerbelt for example? I wouldn't. I've seen multiple times firsthand how they have failed to perform on a 100 pound deer and can only envision what they'll do to a large bear.

I tried powerbelts years ago. That's a "projectile" that I wouldn't recommend to anyone for anything.

For bear, big 'n heavy is the ticket. Lead, or a quality partition bullet will do the job. Hey....if a 30-06 with a 220gr. bullet will do the job, so will a 405gr. zipping along at 1,500fps.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts