The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
:crying:WOW! Really itchin to get out there.

So far, had major surgery, got that blasted intestinal virus everyone around here seems to get a chance at, and now playing musical doctors with the complications of both.

Mr Bigreddm, I truley am jealous!

In answer, nope, havent made it out yet.:crying:

·
Registered
16,496 Posts
i posted this in my "four out of five thread below"

four out of five groundhogs, now recommend that i leave my SA rifle at home when hunting groundhogs.( make that my AR-15 in .223/5.56)

it would have been 5 out of 5 but i pulled the shot and the 5th one became a track star. i didnt know they could run that fast. i bet it was close to Olympic speed trial records.

i cooked them up and they tasted GREAT

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haven't posted for a while.Been pecking around here and there. fields starting to get cut. Been having good luck on the edges of bean fields. Up to 46 now.. anyone else out?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had a pretty good evening. One was around 250 and the other 200. I had deer in the field that kept getting in the way and chasing them back into their holes so it was harder to get any more. Just using basic federal 223 50 grain JHP. Seems to do pretty well. Out maybe 3 times total and 7 confirmed this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Like everyone is saying, fields are real wet. Been leaving the quad home to avoid making ruts in the field lanes.
The "vehicle as a blind" (shoot from vehicle) is getting some use from the truck and I got two more, one about 40yds, the other a rangefinder 148yds, with the Marlin 17 HMR from the lane going through the beans.

Sure do miss the ability to hunt without a quad or the truck. Those hogs are pretty smart and learn to run from the truck in no time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Two more confirmed tonight plus blood at two other holes. Couldve had more but it was a rough evening for me. Mix of user error (aka missing) and them somehow knowing when I was about to shoot and ducking down. Both were about 200ish. Snapchat-550270041_1561423684728.jpg Snapchat-2709229_1561423704341.jpg

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Glad you folks are keeping their numbers in check. This will be the second year I did not even get out for groundhogs. Got the 722 in .222 all tuned up and plenty of ammo.
Just can't find the urge to get out there. Used to go at least 2 x times a week.
Shooting a lot of trap, 1911's and S&W 686 these days. I could get a handgun permit and go snipe them pasture-poodles with the 686.
Hummm....

·
Registered
16,496 Posts
Two more confirmed tonight plus blood at two other holes. Couldve had more but it was a rough evening for me. Mix of user error (aka missing) and them somehow knowing when I was about to shoot and ducking down. Both were about 200ish. View attachment 134859 View attachment 134861

the one on the left has a bug eyed surprised look on its face :grin2:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just got a couple more yesterday and today. On the left is my setup for when i expect shots over 200. 16in 223. Federal American Eagle Varmint and Predator 50 grain JHP. On the right is my Savage 93r17 .17hmr with hornady 17 grain V-MAX. This is for when im worried about noise and/or ricochets, and closer shots but I can manage a 200 yard shot. In this case, I stopped by my grandparents house and this one was about 80 yards. Better hunting now that the farmers are getting to their hay with the nice weather. Cant wait until friday when I get my 20 inch 6.5 grendel upper and see how they like that.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts