The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

2019 Chevy Silverado?

5K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  joe8768 
#1 ·
I am thinking about looking into getting a 2019 Silverado. Has anyone seen one ? I would like some opinions I don’t know if I should get a leftover 2018 or await for. 2019. Will there be any major changes?

#6 ·
I own a 2009 chevy silverado and a 2010 Ford F150. It is no contest. The F150 has held up better, had less repairs, the chevy has had several thousand dollars worth of new parts, transmission TWICE, computer TWICE. The Ford handles a load better, pulls my camper better, rides smoother, interior has held up better, and while the bed, fenders and rear bumper of the chevy have needed major rust repair the ford still looks good. And the Ford has 22000 more miles on it. Not saying the silverado is a bad truck, its not. Im saying the F150 is a better truck.

#5 ·
F models accounted for 896,764 units sold in 2017. Chevy/GMC trucks accounted for 803,870.

While F models lead in truck sales, GM surpasses Ford in all categories of US vehicles sold, with around a 17.6% market share. Ford comes in at about 14.2%.

Everyone has their favorites for one reason or another. Still a hot topic each fall at our Potter reunions, as to which pickup is "the best".

Observed long ago that most of the clan seems to favor whatever dad had bought, but now and then someone goes off the reservation? Seem to be a few more RAMs the past few years, than once was the norm.

I've always preferred Chevy pickups and my dad never owned a Chevy of any kind, his entire life. He drove Dodges, Plymouths, Pontiacs, Buicks and one Ford, back around 1950. Uncle that owned the dairy farm where camp is, just the opposite. Nothing but Fords, except for a new '64 Chevy BelAir, then back to Ford cars/trucks again.

Gave him and my dad something extra to haggle about, as long as I can remember. Usually dad asking him if he was ever gonna patch the rust on his Ford trucks, back in the 70s.

:wink2:

#7 ·
F models accounted for 896,764 units sold in 2017. Chevy/GMC trucks accounted for 803,870.

While F models lead in truck sales, GM surpasses Ford in all categories of US vehicles sold, with around a 17.6% market share. Ford comes in at about 14.2%.

When you cannot prevail in a discussion you deflect.

Add Chevrolet and GMC totals and still come up thousands of sales short. Then add overall sales percentages of all Chevrolet and GMC sales so you can have a higher percentage.

Like I said there is a reason that The F150 has outsold Chevrolet for the last 40 years. No deflection. Just the facts.

#8 ·
No deflection. Just the facts.

Yep, F models outsell the competition and since Chevy and GMC trucks are essentially the same vehicle but for cosmetics, that competition they outsell, is GM trucks.

Not a big "brand allegiance" guy. I drive Chevy trucks, because since the first pickup in 1970, they've been pretty good to me over the years. Only clunker Chevy in all those years, was a new '72 G20 work van that lasted for over six years. Totaled the front end on a deer in buck season of '78, or it would've lasted a bit longer.

Had two Dodge trucks back in the 70s and 80s. The '84 actually had a RAM badge on the fenders. My huntin' bud called it The Lamb. Worst trucks ever owned, will never buy another one, even if they have improved over the years.

If ya love Fords, drive one.

#10 ·
My observation locally is that you can generally buy a ford for less than other brands. Since people around here would drive 20 miles to buy a product for $5 that they could get down the block for $5.50, fords sell better. My BIL was always a ford guy, his trucks did ok, not great but ok, of course he keeps them pretty long and uses them hard. Hunting friends always had chevys and toyotas, they like their trucks.

270 or 30-06
Rem or Win
All the same argument, will never be settled, all a roll of the dice that you won't get that occasional problem one.
Buy what you like, if it doesn't work change it, and move on.
Okay I'm done now.

#12 ·
Some people never change. Others have tried 'em all.

One friend used to drive Chevys, had a few Fords and is now on his third RAM 4x4.

Another guy I know, went from Chevys to two Tundras, which were the greatest trucks on the road, according to him. Now he has a RAM 4x4 crew. He claimed he couldn't make a deal on a third Tundra and they were "giving RAMS away".

One of his buddies told me the real reason he got a RAM, was because he tired of getting 17 MPG with the Tundras and the RAM does over 20 highway.

:smile2:

#14 ·
Get a Titan. Save $$$ over a Tundra, sweet ride, tons of power. Great warranty, but based on my 20+ years experience owning a Nissan, you likely won't need it much. I've had five Nissans, all been great. Not much more than changing oil and tires, and if I run them 100K miles +, occasionally hubs or shocks. Most underrated vehicle on the road. That said, with sticker prices pushing north of $60K for a new crew cab of any brand, I will buy the most truck I can for my money whether Ford, Dodge, Toyota or Nissan.

To the OP, I like to wait a year or two when a model change happens. Glad to hear guys had success with GM, but for my regardless of price, my next truck won't be a GM product. One example, friend of mine this spring bought a new GM crew cab, had it in the shop 8 times in first three months to solve a tranny shifting (or lack thereof) problem, finally GM honored the lemon law. His replacement is better but still shifts finicky. On another, a 2010 Silverado, the bed is bubbling and rusting out around the rear wheel wells, the paint bubbles are literally getting worse every day and filling with water. Pop one and water runs out.

Stuff can and does happen to all brands but seems to me it's GM more than others.

#15 ·
I've always been a Ford guy, but I had a 2004 that blew 2 spark plugs out of the block. Of course the first time this happened was about 3,000 miles past the 36,000 mile warranty. Didn't make me feel much better when I learned this was such a common occurrence that they had a repair kit for it. The truck was only 3 years old at the time. Made me think about getting a Chevy or Dodge the next time, but I figured in all the years I bought Fords, that was the only major issue I had. I've stayed with Fords and have never experienced any other major problems.

I guess that was a problem for a brief period of time with certain Ford engines which was corrected in fairly short order.

#16 ·
My buddy and mechanic told me to stay away from the new trucks. Said they are getting cheaper and cheaper in thier construction and the electronics are crazy expensive to repair. Have an F250 that was getting pretty rough in the body. 6 new body panels and fenders and she is ready for another tour. 431,271 miles on her this morning.

Had a Silverado quit after 230,00 and 2 new trannies. I liked that truck fine.

#19 ·
Pretty much how I feel. Too many electronics, plastic parts under the hood, and everything is an “assembly”!! I buy new or almost new and keep it only for 100-125k before crap starts going really wrong.
Best bet is pick something that is backed by the company. Ford is by far the worst and Chevy close second to fixing crap under warranty. Toyota was the best.

#18 · (Edited)
Haven't seen one yet, been on youtube I'm not to fond the way it looks from the sides. Wheel wells look to rounded. I can't believe you can get a 4cyl. turbo in a 5,000 lb. truck. Not my cup of tea. Great deals on 2018 models! Going to look pretty close on both years. My 2010 been a great truck that my wife wants to keep and drive. Bought new and the body is still in excellent shape.

#20 ·
Yeah, nothing like thinking you need a new distributor and finding out you don't have a distributor, each spark plug has a coil pack @$50.00 x 8 = $400.00.

Then going online and finding out you can order the whole set of 8 for under $50.00 (aftermarket, not Motorcraft).

I'll take the aftermarket, thank you.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.