The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
I set out shelled corn and a cam when flintlock season ended. Got pics of 9 different bucks. I’ve been giving them 40 lb of corn every 3rd day, and as of yesterday, 5 still are holding both antlers, and 2 have lost one side. I’m guessing the other two bucks have shed both sides.

I don’t normally look for sheds until about March 10th.

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
Usually about a dozen. My best spring was 19 sides. Found 3 this year while trapping, haven’t gone out looking for them yet.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I set out shelled corn and a cam when flintlock season ended. Got pics of 9 different bucks. I’ve been giving them 40 lb of corn every 3rd day, and as of yesterday, 5 still are holding both antlers, and 2 have lost one side. I’m guessing the other two bucks have shed both sides.

I don’t normally look for sheds until about March 10th.

Do you worry about Rumen Acidosis?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found two more , one is chewed up pretty good , from last year.
The old one was in an area that gets worked over pretty good , surprised nobody
picked it up till now.

Attachments

Reactions: TBrom

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I'm trying to train my German Shepard to find them. So far so good have not had him out into the wilds yet just in the backyard.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
I haven't seen a buck yet that has lost an antler, probably start looking in mid March.

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Found two more , one is chewed up pretty good , from last year.
The old one was in an area that gets worked over pretty good , surprised nobody
picked it up till now.
Just because the antler was chewed that much doesn't mean it was from last year. I have seen antlers chewed that much from deer season, when the hunter shot them off the bucks head, to late January when I finally found and recovered them.

It really doesn't take very long for the various rodents, squirrels and porcupine to chew one up once they find it.

Dick Bodenhorn

1 - 20 of 60 Posts