The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a brand new 2018 ram with the 6 speed manual. 2018 is the last year it is offered with a manual. Figured I would grab one while I still could. Traded In my 2011 ram 3500. Nice to have a new truck again. Dealer was doing $10,000 off sticker with rebates and discount. And I was able to get $4500 more for my trade then I paid for it a year and a half ago! I just couldn’t say no. Looking at the prices of 10 year old Cummins with a manual transmission and 150,000 miles this truck should be worth it’s weight in gold in 10 years with it being the last year they made them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Nice ride, I have a 2017 3500 mega SRW with the Asin. Not sure if you do your own oil changes? I discovered a cap that screws onto the oil filter before you attempt to pull it across the frame. Keeps the oil in the filter and no mess. Genos garage sells them. Just a FYI

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The 2013 Ram I just traded had the G56 in it. I loved it and will probably miss the shifting. (except in stop and go traffic). I loved that tranny except my truck came with 342 gears which were way to high for that tranny. You really had to wind it up before you dropped it into the next gear. As compared to my previous Cummins with the 5.9 and G56 you would be in 6th gear real quick and never had to downshift pulling a hill with a load. My new Ram has the 68RFE which is a 6 speed auto. Dont know much about that tranny. I guess they do say for the Rams both the 68RFE and the Aisin can handle more power that the G56 as the clutch is the weak link with the G56.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
The 2013 Ram I just traded had the G56 in it. I loved it and will probably miss the shifting. (except in stop and go traffic). I loved that tranny except my truck came with 342 gears which were way to high for that tranny. You really had to wind it up before you dropped it into the next gear. As compared to my previous Cummins with the 5.9 and G56 you would be in 6th gear real quick and never had to downshift pulling a hill with a load. My new Ram has the 68RFE which is a 6 speed auto. Dont know much about that tranny. I guess they do say for the Rams both the 68RFE and the Aisin can handle more power that the G56 as the clutch is the weak link with the G56.
I have a 2016 Ram 2500.I was hesitant to buy because of the tranny but I like everything else about the truck.A month ago,it started shifting into 4th gear and it stays there.Apparently it was a recall on a sensor but the dealership hasn't been able to get the part for over a month.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have a 2016 Ram 2500.I was hesitant to buy because of the tranny but I like everything else about the truck.A month ago,it started shifting into 4th gear and it stays there.Apparently it was a recall on a sensor but the dealership hasn't been able to get the part for over a month.
DCE what tranny are you running? First time having the 68RFE and I am 2 years newer than you. Just hope I have no problems as I love my RAMS. I know all the manufactures have issues but I could never own a Ford or Chevy, just me nothing against the die hard manufacturer fans so dont blast me ford and chevy guys. Not saying my truck is better than yours I just dont like the other brands.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
DCE what tranny are you running? First time having the 68RFE and I am 2 years newer than you. Just hope I have no problems as I love my RAMS. I know all the manufactures have issues but I could never own a Ford or Chevy, just me nothing against the die hard manufacturer fans so dont blast me ford and chevy guys. Not saying my truck is better than yours I just dont like the other brands.
I have no idea what Tranny is in it.It's the first Ram I ever bought.I actually just bought my daughter a Ram 1500 when that happened lol.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Cant confirm but I also hear the G56 for 2018 was the last year. It does surprise me as many still want that tranny and will only buy a Ram because of the offering. As far as Ford is concerned I have never heard anything good about their motors or trannys. I have heard the Allison tranny is very strong in the Chevy trucks although look at their ground clearance and how far down the DEF tanks are. Would never buy one of those GM products. IMO Ram is by far the superior heavy duty truck out of the big 3.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Hacks me off the manuals keep going away. I am going to be due for another grocery toter in a couple years and I am not liking anything out there right now.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
338/378, I heard of a chevy duramax running 800K miles.. How many dodges have done that???
You can hear all you want and I am sure that may be true for the Duramax if maintained properly. I dont subscribe to Dodge as you say. I subscribe to Cummins and 800k is just breaking in for them. Im quite sure many Dodges as you say are well over 800k you just may not have heard of them.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Seems to me when they introduced that 1/2 ton diesel not to many years ago it could be had in a stick.Is that truck still offered?
GOB Im not sure if they offered the manual in the 1500 models. Fullfan would know as I think he had or still has an ecodiesel. To tell you the truth I dont even know if they still manufacture the 1500 diesel. Also cant remember who made the diesel motor but im pretty sure it was not a cummins. If it did come with a manual I doubt it was a G56 as that tranny is huge.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I too can,t remember if it was a baby Cummins or not.I know Nissan got a smaller Cummins.I also haven,t heard or read anythin if they have continued the Eco Diesel.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You could never get a stick with the eco diesel. Last year ram put a stick in a half ton was 2008. 2009 was the new body for the half ton and they dropped the manual trans then. Same as now with the 3/4 and 1 tons. Body design changed in 2019 and manual is now no longer offered. Said Times for sure. Guess nobody wants to row their own boat anymore.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts