Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deer info:
8 Pointer
About 200lb
Taken Opening Day about 12:30-12:45
Deer of a Lifetime.

Just a short story about hunt. Went out opening day with all I could muster for strength. Weather was nice for opening day considering the rain. Went out early only to find someone on the stand So I moved to another stand about sunrise and waited it out. About 11:30 give or take took small break to warm up and eat lunch then back to stand and my main stand was no longer taken. Took to stand and about 20 minutes I heard the sound of a T-Rex breaking through the brush chasing a doe and a smaller buck. This buck was furious and grunting loud. He came out a trail about 10 yards from my stand and came into the open when I took him down. To me this is my Deer of a Life Time I know as Cancer is breaking my body down. Needless to say, I dragged him a few feet but couldn’t and had to wait for my cousin to assist. In the end I got the buck of my life and I’m so happy for it. Later ended up in Er for Surgery due to rupturing something inside and had to be rushed to ER. Deer taken on Opening Day about 12:30-12:45pm. Dropped off at butcher and head to be mounted. I always say, if cancer is going to kill me, I’m going down fighting and hunting and fishing won’t stop till day I finally pass. This deer almost did that early lol but I’m healing and should be home soon.
Long story short, never give up what you love to do and go down fighting at all cost. Better to go fighting than sitting at home on a lazy boy recliner.
Thanks for all who view and comment in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Congrats on a great buck, but even a better attitude toward living life to the fullest during adversity. Godspeed to a healthy recovery.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Congrats Don33. You ain't no quitter.

Reactions: bohunr and Homey88

·
Premium Member
24,137 Posts
Nice buck congrats!!

·
Banned
437 Posts
Good One

Don, congrats on a nice 8pt. Keep up the fight, life is a series of road blocks & you're finding ways to keep on going. :encouragement:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks in advances to all who replied.
Well still in hospital but should hopefully be home tomorrow. The deer did manage to put me in hospital but if I had to do this all over again you bet your life I would repeat it again. No lies. I need to get to my taxedermy so he can get mount products ordered as he is going to work on mine right away. Anyway I’m tired so I’m going to lay down before nurses get here to prick me.
To anyone with life threastening issues my prayers tonyoy but you never give up and let it overwhelm you. Trust me I’m at bottom of my bucket but I’m going down with a fight.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Way to stick with it on a less than ideal opener! Your story is inspirational to say the least. You are stronger than what you're giving yourself credit for! Stay the course. I wish you the best of luck and pray you make a full recovery.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts