The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't want to hijack the other thread so I started a new one. This is the mix I planted, which others have stated is a too heavy. (Thank you! All advice welcome). Only an expert in my own mind. :grin2:
Winter Rye = 50#
Spring Oats = 50#
Forage Peas = 20#
Medium Red Clover = 20#
White Clover = 20#
Forage Rape = 1#
Purple Top Turnips = 1#
Groundhog Radish = 1#

Planted the one acre plot on 8-7-18.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It will be one week tomorrow since its been planted and the plot hasn't received one drop of rain. :crying: It's in desperate need of some. Hard to tell from the pics but it's trying to break through. A little rain should set it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,253 Posts
You are probably the only place in the Western part of the state that hasn't got rain in the last week. What are the trees in the middle of the field?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What did you do with all the rocks?!?!?! :)
Hand picked them after tilling. There's still a few smaller ones here and there. This is the 2nd time I've redone this plot so it's in pretty good shape. This is what it looked like this spring. I just let it grow up over the early summer so I could redo it. Also added #300 of fertilizer to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are probably the only place in the Western part of the state that hasn't got rain in the last week. What are the trees in the middle of the field?
It has literally poured a couple of different days within a 1/2 mile on each side of me. :sad: We're getting a frog choker as I type, though. Doing my happy dance. Can't wait to see the plot in the morning. It's waiting to burst through.

The trees on the right are 4 apple trees (Pippin, Mac's & Cortland). You can only see 2 in the picture, though. The tree directly behind them and sticking out a bit is a chestnut tree. That's also the trunk of another chestnut tree that looks like one of the apple trees. So on the right side of the plot is 2 chestnuts, 4 apple trees and 5 pear trees. The tree on the left that's tilled around is a Spy apple tree. The tree directly above the picture is some big tree I didn't want to deal with so I just put the plot around it. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for sharing the pics! The plot and your trees look great!
Thanks OAWC. I enjoy wasting my money and time playing around with it. I'm fairly clueless about it all but it's great fun. Unfortunately, I've never seen a buck I was interested in hunting anywhere near it. Lol!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts