The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
15,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunters who dream about the hunt of a lifetime will be happy to know that the 2017 Maine moose permit lottery application process is now open.
-
The online application process is fast and simple and you receive instant confirmation that you have successfully entered the lottery.- To apply, please visit Maine IF&W. The deadline for online applications is 11:59 p.m. on May 15, 2017.

Applicants are awarded bonus points for each consecutive year that they have applied for the lottery since 1998 without being selected and each bonus point gives the applicant an additional chance in the drawing.
-
Bonus points are earned at the rate of one per year for years one to five, two per year for years six to 10, three per year for years 11 to 15 and 10 per year for years 16 and beyond.
Since 2011, applicants can skip a year and not lose their bonus points. So if they applied in 2015 but not in 2016, they still have their points available if they apply in 2017.

The moose permit drawing will take place on June 17, 2017 at Caribou Parks and Recreation.

For more information about moose hunting in Maine and the moose permit lottery, please visit: Moose Hunting Permits: Maine IF&W

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I may need to start doing this. I know it's pretty hard to draw but I have always dreamed about killing a moose and Maine is a great state.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I need Maine to complete my Moose hat trick of the New England states. But having just took a job that has a no vacation policy for Sept. and Oct. It'll just have to wait for another year.

·
Administrator
15,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The deadline to apply for the 2017 Maine Moose Permit Lottery is fast approaching!
-
The online application process is fast and simple and you receive instant confirmation that you have successfully entered the lottery.- To apply, please visit Maine IF&W. The deadline to apply is 11:59 p.m. on May 15, 2017.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
The deadline to apply for the 2017 Maine Moose Permit Lottery is fast approaching!
-
The online application process is fast and simple and you receive instant confirmation that you have successfully entered the lottery.- To apply, please visit Maine IF&W. The deadline to apply is 11:59 p.m. on May 15, 2017.

Thanks for posting this, I forgot all about it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was drawn as an "alternate". Does anyone truelly know what this means?

its my understanding that now i just play the waiting game until the middle of August, at which time (if enough people dont take there license) they will contact me and offer a license to me?

- As an alternate, do they only contact me if it was for a zone that i chose on my application or can it be for any zone?

anyone with any info on this or that has gone through this process (as an alternate) in the past I would greatly appreciate any information you can provide

Thanks

·
Administrator
15,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was drawn as an "alternate". Does anyone truelly know what this means?

its my understanding that now i just play the waiting game until the middle of August, at which time (if enough people dont take there license) they will contact me and offer a license to me?

- As an alternate, do they only contact me if it was for a zone that i chose on my application or can it be for any zone?

anyone with any info on this or that has gone through this process (as an alternate) in the past I would greatly appreciate any information you can provide

Thanks
Moose Permit Lottery Frequently Asked Questions: Maine IF&W

Q. I don't understand what the subpermittee and alternate subpermittee are all about.

A. The subpermittee is a person who can hunt with the permittee and either the permittee or the subpermittee can kill the moose. Only one moose can be killed per permit, so the permittee and subpermittee must be physically in the presence of each other without the aid of radios or similar devices so that you don't both kill a moose.

Upon application to the Department, the permittee may change that person's subpermittee or alternate subpermittee until 30 days prior to the start of the moose hunting season for which the permit was issued.

If the subpermittee cannot go on the hunt, you have up to 5 business days to switch your alternate subpermittee to be your subpermittee. The permittee must always be present - the subpermittee cannot hunt alone.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks Casey.

However that type of "alternate" is different from the type that i have been chosen for. I am an "alternate" for when other hunters that have been selected to get a license decide for one reason or another not to take it. At that point, the Maine department of wildlife goes to the "alternate" list, starting at #1 to determine if that alternate wants the license and then continues through the list of alternates until the tag is filled. That much I understand....however, its all the details of exactly how this process works is what i am curious about.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I didn't make the cut but was wondering does the "either" mean you're an alternate or do you have a different designation? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ozzy - If any non-resident that was actually selected for a permit yesterday does not pay for that permit by the deadline (usually late July), then that tag becomes available for a NR alternate. What's most important to you is your "alternate #". If you are NR alt #1, the F&W Dept will call you in mid-August and you will get first choice of all available tags. Once the #1 NR alternate makes his choice, the Dept will contact NR alt #2, and so on down the line. Any choices you made on your original drawing entry form have nothing to do with this process. SO, if you got a lower #, you may be in the chips. If you have a high #, then you may not be contacted, or you may be offered a cow tag, or one of the Anymoose tags that's good for almost all of November. Just my advice, but do not accept an "ANYMOOSE" tag. Furthermore, I do not believe that turning down a tag BY AN ALTERNATE will affect his existing bonus points. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
298 Posts
groundtender, that is some great information! thank you

my number is 29. So, from what i have read about other alternates in the past, it appears that i am probably right on that threshold of getting a call?? Does anyone know if there is a location to see statistics on how many alternates get tags on a given year?

why wouldnt you accept an "anymoose" tag? seems that would be perfect? or is it bad due to the time of hunt?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Not sure if this is true or not but I was reading somewhere recently about Maine and the unlimited chances Non-Res lottery. Some rich guy from California or somewhere conducted a bit of an experiment and applied for 3 straight years spending something like $3000-$5000 on chances each year. He drew a tag 2 out of the 3 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ozzy - I am not sure if you can get much history on recent non-res alternate activity. but I guess you could call F&W and ask. The November "Anymoose" tags are all in more populated southern areas. Success rates are very low. The state decided 10 or 12 years ago that moose in these areas should be eradicated due to car/moose collisions. The plan has worked pretty well. However, if you are inclined to go deer hunting in November in WMD 16,23, 25, or 26 there's a decent population of deer in those zones, and a moose would be a bonus. A friend of mines elderly father had one of these tags last year. They did see moose in range, but he couldn't get his dad to hit one! Just a thought. I would not accept one of those tags, but that's the potential upside....the only one I can think off at least.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
ozzy - I am not sure if you can get much history on recent non-res alternate activity. but I guess you could call F&W and ask. The November "Anymoose" tags are all in more populated southern areas. Success rates are very low. The state decided 10 or 12 years ago that moose in these areas should be eradicated due to car/moose collisions. The plan has worked pretty well. However, if you are inclined to go deer hunting in November in WMD 16,23, 25, or 26 there's a decent population of deer in those zones, and a moose would be a bonus. A friend of mines elderly father had one of these tags last year. They did see moose in range, but he couldn't get his dad to hit one! Just a thought. I would not accept one of those tags, but that's the potential upside....the only one I can think off at least.
If he can't hit a Moose he shouldn't be out there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts