The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I'm looking for places and ideas on where to go . Anyone have good ideas ?

I'm thinking of going during archery season but also thought of going with gun it would be with an outfitter, but again I have no outfitters in mind , or should I go with gun ?
I'm Thinking western Kentucky.
Sorry for not more info but I'm completely lost but I know it's a state I'd like to good to based off the caliber bucks coming out if there in the last couple years .

Thanks
Ben

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I believe you mean 2017...I would go to Eastern Sports Show and meet outfitters.Some will disgust you and others will have reparable references. Study your options and go and have fun. A good question to start off is...do they have TV celebrities hunting their properties. If they yes, walk away QUICKLY! You will only be wasting your money as they cater to the "pro" and they could care less about you. Saw this happen first hand,do not make the mistake like I did. There are some really good outfitters out there, I found one in Illinois for bow that I go hunt with.In November I shot a huge 10 point on our last day and the whole camp celebrated that plus Hillary lost...Good luck

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
You might get better answers on the outfitters sub-forum. I have no experience using an outfitter but I have a couple friends who have done it (not in KY). It probably depends a lot on what you are trying to do as far as trophy class, meat, etc. A friend of mine has gone to Oklahoma a few years and has gotten nice bucks. None were record books bucks but they have good harvest rates.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not sure what current regulations are in KY, but when I lived and hunted there '98-'01, most public land areas were on a lottery system for gun season. Everything was pretty much wide open during archery though. Make sure you check those regulations if you're planning a DIY trip.

I never hunted Western KY, as I lived just south of Lexington. I did find it pretty difficult as an outsider to secure permission to hunt private land. In the area where I lived, there was a bit of skepticism towards outsiders - not saying it's the whole state. Although I did end up finding a few great properties to hunt. Lots of rugged terrain in the eastern 1/2 of the state from the Ohio River bottoms and ridges in the north to the mountains in the eastern part of the state. Deer densities were not real high in the east, but they hold some big bucks because of low hunter densities and rugged terrain.

I will say that when I stopped at check stations or the processor, I saw plenty of bucks that would make a life-long PA hunter drool.

One piece of good advice I got when I moved there - do not under any circumstances go on property where you don't have permission. Marijuana was the number one cash crop in the state, and moonshine stills are the real deal there. The farmers and distillers don't take kindly to trespassers. True story.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow !! DRod thanks for the heads up .
I'm planning on going through outfitter most likely. Unless I can find a parcel to lease .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts