The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up at camp the last two weeks and was able to knock couple things off the list for 2017.
Couple weeks ago I met with logger who is going to clear out two 1/2 to 3/4 acre food plot sites in the woods for me. We marked the areas and once it dries out he will be in there with excavator and removing trees and stumps. I grabbed soil samples while there as well.
I then did some chainsaw work and thickened up two areas that were pretty open. The one I did two weeks ago and when I was up this week, it was noticeable that the deer had found it.
I also cleared some paths thru a clearing that I had done two years ago. Since I cut the paths back thru it, the deer have been using the paths and eating the buds from the hinge cuts and regen in there.
This past week I planted some silky dogwood seedlings as part of my road screen.
I also took a kiddie pool up and made a "waterhole" at a strategic location. We will see how it works. Not sure on this one, but it was fun doing.

This time I took pics of the work and this site just sucks with trying to post pics now. I have tried twice now and site froze once and just closed the other time. I'm so frustrated with this site right now. So for now you only get the story. I hope to try and post the pics at some point. Sorry for that!

Rob

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
D - nice work and thanks for sharing the pics! It's always great to see when the critters respond to your habitat efforts. I'm anxious to see how the cut areas thicken up in the coming seasons. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks O! I've been struggling with inserting pics throughout a message but the trees above are dunstan chestnuts planted 3 years ago and crabapple and persimmon trees planted two years ago. The clearing that was done 2 years ago has some really good aspen regrowth with new trees already 6 foot tall. There are also many hinge cuts in there where the tree is still alive and producing many new buds and shoots. Really happy with how it is turning out.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
Very nice Delphic!

How much timber is the logger removing?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C, My BIL has property that borders me and logger has been on his ground removing ash trees for him. At same time he is going to take any ash trees on my property as well. There are some but not near as much as on BIL property. I have one field that borders road but always wanted a couple of secluded plots in the woods that are on my property. Since logger is up there I figured no better time than to do it now. We walked the two areas I was thinking about and we came up with two areas, one maybe 1/2 acre and other closer to 3/4 acre. He is going to cut path to it so I can get tractor in to it. These areas only have junk trees there now. He figures 3 days with the excavator to remove trees and stumps. He also believes I have enough ash trees to cover cost of project. Win win in my book.
I got my soil test back and will need several ton of lime so I will have some work ahead of me but I look forward to it!

Rob

·
Registered
539 Posts
just an idea, if you have him pile up the roots/stumps and any tree's he doesn't take and such around the food plot, you can help BLACK ways into the plot , to make deer walk past possible stand sites, like fencing some what in area's you prefer deer not to enter the plot!
and they will also become places critters will bed near or under
or better yet, you can pile them up and make a blind out of them!

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
Yes Delphic that seems like a good deal. Free work is always a good!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Nice plan D. Good to see you fenced those trees/shrubs in, otherwise they may disappear one nibble at a time. Godd idea to remove the ash. They'll all be dead soon so best to do it now. Someone did mention about using roots, stumps, etc to help funnel deer past stands. That is a good tool too. Soil samples. EXCELLENT!!! That is job #1 before we put any seed in the ground. BTW, have a test done for micronutrients too. Most plots need sulphur. High calcium lime too. Best wishes for a successful habitat project!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I spent a few days in camp last week before the weather got nasty and worked on a few projects. Went to the local co op and got 6lb of red clover to plant two new small plots. It was nice to plant this seed on 65 degree day before 3 inches of snow fell on Friday.

Also started building an elevated hunting blind. I have a basic plan in mind but didn't make any drawings, instead, I started building it as more ideas came to mind. The floor is 6ft by 8ft and the ceiling is 6.5 ft tall. I'm using mostly leftover lumber but had to stop when I ran out of 2x4's :). It will sit on 4x4x16 posts but it is getting built inside the garage and once all the walls are ready I'll assemble it at its final location.

At night I made some walking sticks while sitting by the fire. That's what camp is about!!!!

Keep the projects coming!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Nice work, d! Didn't take you long to get those silkies and get em in the ground. Appreciate you taking the time to post those pics!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah ng, thanks for the recommendation on them. I could have used 50 more but we will save that project for next year after seeing how these do. I knew I was going up this early and since I have many seedlings coming from Howard nursery I thought I might try to get them in early. I just hope with the ground freezing again up there that it doesn't open up and kill these seedlings.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NG, dang you. You had to call me out. I didn't have many great pics cause trees up north and just starting to bud out. I do have a couple pics but was hesitant to post them. Now, here ya go. The first is a pear tree showing buds just starting to come out. Second pic if you can see is a chinese chestnut just starting to bud. I should have cleared the leaves away from it but was more focused on taking pic lol. I will clean around it when up in two weeks. Third is a clearing that we cleared last year and broadcast winter rye on ground. It is coming up nice. Last pic is a wild plum from howard nursery that was just planted.
I was able to get 40 norway spruce in the ground and 12 red osier dogwood in as well. I did get all of my howard nursery in which included sawtooth oaks, serviceberry, and wild plum. I planted them in the treetops of clearings I had done past couple of years . I'm hoping that is all the protection they will need. Time will tell.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
LoL, no problem, I just turn my head and they look great!

Nice looking greenup in the rye patch. Looks like a pretty nice sized opening?

A few hundred miles north/south makes quite a difference this time of year; I heard NC PA had something like 32 degrees the other morning, while I was sweating my can off climbing one of our KY ridges in the dark at the 60 degree low for the day.

Good work on the seedlings. Best of luck with the big black birds (assuming you'll take some time to chase them) in two weeks.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
:topsy_turvy:

It's OK....I just spun my head around! Thanks for sharing the pics. Glad to hear that you had a successful planting weekend.

I do fear for those trees unprotected in the tree tops though....I haven't had any luck without using cages. I hope you do though!

The rye should start jumping to life here soon. Our clover in Juniata County is starting to jump, along with the rye and some barley.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. NG, I think the camera makes it look bigger. It is about 30 yards long and maybe 10 at widest. My buddy has a double ladder on it and his boy shot a nice 7 point on that opening last year. Not sure what we are going to plant there this year. Still need to get the pH better. Will be liming it again in two weeks. Best wishes to you guys on turkey this year too. I saw you were already off to a good start.
O, I found the deer didn't like traveling through my clearings until I cut paths for them. Well, I tucked these seedlings in places I didn't want to go and places that were a little more out in open I drug tops to put around them. I'm hoping for the best. I don't have alot invested if they don't make it but I sure hope they do.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Up at camp for the turkey opener. Had birds roosted right in front of us but they had other plans and that was that. I had plans to disk up my food plot areas but with all the rain up there, that was not happening. Drove around to see how the plantings are coming along. I noticed that my dogwoods that I planted as part of road screen are just starting to bud out. The norway spruce are looking good as well however I noticed that the spruce I planted last year are a lighter shade of green than the ones I planted this year. Could that be a mineral deficiency? or stress from too much water? I didn't have camera on that trip so no pics. I did spray round up around all my spruce trees to keep them from getting buried from weeds around them.
My bare root seedlings from howard nursery are doing well and are budding out nicely. I tried to take pics but the seedlings just blended into background and you couldn't make them out. They are not protected other than being planted in the tree tops of downed trees. So far so good. The deer did find a couple that I tried to sneak in out in the open!
I did snap some pics of pear that finally leafed out and has some flowers. I had two pears on it last year, maybe there will be more this year. The other pear is one planted last year from the ACN order. There is also a pic of dunstan chestnut that is doing well(planted 3 years ago). I have 6 of those and all look about the same. One did not make it. Last pic is a wildlife hybrid tree from Empire chestnut. It is starting to show some life as well(planted last year).

Attachments

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry guys, gotta turn your head again. ***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts