The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first time hunting deer up in the PA wilds. The previous week we had 14 people pushing bear around. As a group we saw 2 bears but no shots. I saw a decent amount of dear sign so I decided on hunting there the first day. I basically walked in the wood to a clear cut and jacked up in a tree and that was gonna sit for the day. At first light I had a really nice shooter buck chasing a doe 150 yards out coming straight in. He followed the doe and turned broadside but his vitals were behind a tree. All of the tops from the trees were all over the ground and I actually lost him. I was pretty bummed out. 10 mins. later I saw 2 doe way out there and they were being chased by a 4 point and a 6 point. No shot too far but they were smaller buck. I looked to my left at about 9am and there where 4 deer coming straight into me two feeding and the two others were chasing each other around. The two chasing ended up sparring I got the 7mm mag on the biggest one and pulled. I hit him good Lil high and I didn't want him going anywhere so I hit him in the neck. 130 yard shot with my grandfather's gun he gave to me. Very proud of this buck. He is by no means the biggest but it's the first buck I ever got up at the cabin.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Congrats on your buck!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Congrats on the buck! What area you hunt? I returned home lastnight from hunting the susquehannock forest near Conrad.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Congrats (can't open pic) sounds like an exciting morning. I was hoping for rut activity. Sounds like you were in it. I hunted the Susquehannock the first day. Was pretty quiet where I was at. Ridges above Lyman Run State park. Lots of buck sign, some impressive rubs. Sat in a tree in a cut till late afternoon. Seen one buck crossing a new cut at 250 yards. He was hauling it. Never seen another hunter from the stand.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nice mtn buck. I use to go to friends camp off bean hill rd, we shot a couple big ones up on the ridges throughout the years. They are there, just got to put time in to find them

1 - 20 of 21 Posts