The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys and galls, it might still be a tad early, but with this snow falling today, our group already having found an antler, and the statewide season over, it can only mean one thing ; Time for me to start scouting for shed season :p Now I understand most buck will not have dropped for another month or more, but I mainly like to get out and get an idea where the deer are spending most of their time now. Also I am hoping I may be able to scoop up some late sheds from last year that got left behind. One such shed was found by my cousin from a buck we call "hoss" who was shot this year. This antler, as you can tell, is massive, the tines are not horribly long, but the mass is just incredible. Very heavy shed. It was a very large bodied 5 to 6 year old buck this year. The part that makes me upset, lol, is I walked past it at least two times without seeing it that day
.... Now in my defense, I was looking for blood from my cousin's deer, and he apparently wasn't looking as hard as me LOL, and it was well hidden, but still. So anyways, enough of me writing a novel, if you have any sheds from rifle season, or if you have started looking with any success, post em up! And best of luck this shed season!
-B&GB (Alex)
[img:left]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B95Faq1Vvkr-RDM3NGxBc0J2Nlk/view?usp=sharing[/img]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Many years ago at least 50, i was hunting alone
in the Ellicots run area near Sinnemahoning. I was walking a trail and saw a large deer standing a hundred yards or so away. There was snow which helped me see it but it had obviously
seen me first. I thought i had caught a glimps
of antlers when i first saw it. After a standoff
of some time it ran off and crossed the trail in
front of me at about a hundred yards away. I saw
no horns as it did that. To satisfy my curiosity
i walked over to where the deer had stood, and there in the snow were both antlers. An almost perfect 8 point rack which would have been about 15" wide. I took the horns and had them for many years untill during a move they somehow became lost. On another note, our camp
is within the heart of the PA elk range. Hunting
elk sheds has become a serious undertaking there. I have a good friend who has lived his entire 70+ years in Driftwood PA. He has what could be described as an enviable collection of
elk sheds. Several complete sets from the same bull in succesive years. Believe that its become
a very competetive thing. He lives for that as much as he does hunting. He actually spends more time scouting for that than hunting by a long shot. When the time is right, he follows them daily. He was at our camp last year when wardens showed up investigating an elk kill on
the property.
He proceeded to ask them questions about specific elk as to wether they knew if they were still alive.
They were obviously taken aback that some normal
guy knew about specific elk. But he did, and he
actually knew more about them as for range of movement than they did.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
If anyone is willing "donate" a real PA elk shed to me, let me know??? I love getting waterfowl mounted, and my thoughts for the last 5 years or so, has been get a few ducks, mounted standing on a real, wild, PA elk shed antler. I know it's a long shot, but it doesn't mean as much to me if I just buy one from the internet from some other state, or something farm raised. I have looked around here in Chester County, but haven't come across any lately......

When I was growing up, we had a nice 5 point elk shed in the garage loft, as long as I can remember. My mother got it during a family outing to Colorado when she was about 13. She still lives in the same house, but no one can seem to know what happened to that antler, that would have been the perfect one to use, but figured going this route is the next best thing.

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
First look of the year was a good one! Found this matched set near a winter wheat field.

I looked out into the field and saw this 4 point side in my binos.

Very good start!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Went out a few days ago and managed to find a small 5 Pt match ! That makes 7 so far this year !! If anyone can help me post pictures I would gladly love to show them !!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
If you go to photobucket , create an account, its similar to creating a HPA account. After that ,you upload your pics to your photobucket account then transfer to HPA.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Found the first one of the year! Feb 7th, my first "Super Bowl Shed". South facing slope on a heavy trail. Not big, but my first ever fresh shed. Nice palmation on it as well. The coolest part is that I have video of this buck chasing two other bucks the first day of rifle. They would commence to fight each other twice over a half Hour period before walking within 35 yards of me. Could have shot any one of them numerous times (I'm a junior hunter) but passed them all.

I also made lots of "friends" (17 to be exact) so make sure you check yourself and shower after every walk!!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dad found this one the day after I found mine (Monday Feb 8th). Is not a shed, it has a nasty break on the bottom. Doubt this deer survived. The base and tips of tines are dark because it was pushed down into the mud by the mower that mows the gas lines every spring.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts