The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have followed my 2015 CO Elk hunt on this forum.

We have been training for our September Colorado hunt again.

If everything works out, we will have a camera guy along this year filming our hunt..

Not sure how much I will be able to post, but once editing is done you should get to see our hunt on an episode on outdoor channel..

I will try to keep updated..

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Good luck. I just started training myself. We are skipping Colorado this year and going to give Idaho a try this year.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my wife got a bear tag for our elk hunt.

So hopefully we encounter 1 of the 3 cinnamon bears we encountered last year and she can put one down with her bow..

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well my wife got a bear tag for our elk hunt.

So hopefully we encounter 1 of the 3 cinnamon bears we encountered last year and she can put one down with her bow..

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Cool! Ive only seen 3 bears in the years I've hunted in Montana, but two of them were pretty nice ones!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Good luck again this fall Bugle. Has Colorado been dry?

Ratherb- been hunting Idaho since the 80's. Where you headed??

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Good luck, BugleChaser! I'll be out there somewhere relatively nearby in 561 going for a DIY muzzleloader bull with my flintlock. Keep us posted on how you do.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good luck Six-Gun.

Hard to believe Sept. 1st already.
Leaving in 13 days.
Starting scouting here in PA for Elk is making my time fly by.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Good luck, Trask, and to everyone else headed out for elk this season!

BugleChaser said:
Good luck Six-Gun.

Hard to believe Sept. 1st already.
Leaving in 13 days.
Starting scouting here in PA for Elk is making my time fly by.
Glad you have some PA scouting to do to keep you busy and make the time pass.

I leave right after Labor Day on Tuesday, partly because a buddy drew a California bighorn tag in Nevada and may need help. The plan is to fly into CO and then drive over to Nevada to lend a hand if he hasn't scored by then (bighorn opens today in NV).

If he gets it done before I can get out to NV there on the 6th, I'll stay put in CO. I'll lodge up at his cabin in Florissant and we'll go fly fish for a couple of days (loving that they include an annual fishing license with non-res elk tags now) before going scout my elk unit for the Sept 8th muzzleloader opener.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
A bit off-topic, but I feel obliged to post this:

My friend, Frank (a retired Nevada game warden), after waiting 22 years to get drawn, finally got his California bighorn sheep tag for Nevada this year. His season ended fast. Today was opening day and at 7:10 AM, he killed this 6-year-old ram measuring 157". He fired one shot from his Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag, shooting 175 Gr. Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw factory ammo.

Looks like I'll be going fly fishing with him instead of driving to Nevada for the pre-elk hunt time. I was originally going to give him a hand on this hunt if things got tough, but he handled himself admirably. He's heading back to his cabin in Colorado and I'll be meeting him there. He's now a part time fly fishing guide out that way, so we should have a blast. This unexpected change couldn't have happened under better circumstances! It's effectively a once-in-a-lifetime tag, and I couldn't be happier for him.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yeah, it's a really nice ram. He gave me another pic from the taxidermist after skinning/head-removal where it looks even more impressive. I'll have to see if I can post it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gentleman, nice ram.

I would like this thread back on track since it is my thread on our Colorado hunt.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is official.

Our Colorado Elk hunt will be filmed for Outdoor Channel show. Camera guy going with us.

We just received 2 brand new Mathews Halon 6s today for our hunt as Mathews is the show sponsor.

Got alot to get set up and ready tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Awesome. I love my halon 6. Will hopefully break it in the right way in a few days. 6 more hours of work then home to load up and head west!! What is the name of the show.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts