The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the season isn't quite over yet, but the bulk of it is, and so I'm looking for opinions on how hunters think this 2016-17 deer season went in PA.....Archery, early muzzleloader and gun. We all live in different bubbles, so what was the season like in your bubble? Lots of sightings and kills? The opposite? Did you see many hunters out hunting? If you'd care to share, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I hunt mainly public hunting areas one of which is vast and lower deer numbers than other parts of state I have hunted .I wish I kept track of the miles and $'s spent on gas traveling to hunting spots.Way too many! I prefer Archery hunting and spend a fair amount of time scouting.This year was different from others for some reason?Took the first and last week of Archery off and did see some deer and had acouple shot opportunities on doe and some near opportunities on two buck and acouple of those opportunities were on a small private property I was invited to hunt at short notice.My go to Rut spot seemed very slow to say the least.No roaming seen really.First two days of gun season I did see a doe and three buck and one buck on day two.None were legal in 2A zone.The first day of either sex deer was poor and failed to get my daughter a sighting and a shot at her first deer in what usually harbors good numbers and the SGL's there were crowded on Saturday and shooting was a fraction compared to last year for some reason.I am still plugging away and hope for more opportunites and hope to get my daughter a shot on private ground Saturday morning.Thats my season so far.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Archery season was great! Shot a doe early on and an 8 point at the end of October. All reports I'm getting from rifle season indicate are pretty quiet.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
My early muzzleloader season went well. Lot of sign in the area. Only saw one (button buck) and got it so it ended my season early. Did not hunt the rifle season. Looking forward to heading to the same area for flintlock season for a few days. Don't know how they did in the area during rifle, don't know anyone that hunts there anymore, so have not heard. hoping they left me one lil legal buck ;)

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
For Archery I took 5 other hunters with me to private land I have permission to hunt in 3C and we took 3 buck and 2 doe off that property the week before elections. For rifle we hunted home here in 3D and ended out the first week with another buck and I filled a DMAP tag on Dec 3rd.
I still have my buck tag and another 3C doe tag which I will use for late season archery.
There are still on that property a 11, 2 nice 10"s and several 8 points running around., so I am hoping to use a buck tag then.
In the 3 years going to 3C this was the most productive for us and I wanted to rest this place so we skipped rifle season but here in 3D it was the worst I have seen in many years.
The amount of hunters was few and far between and I bet all week I didn't hear 35 shots. I know the 3 days of rain and then the winds didn't help any but not sure if it was the lack of deer that had so few hunting or the fact doe didn't open till last Saturday.
There are deer here but it was definitely a down year yet someone must feel there are to many deer since they issued so many DMAP tags.
Maybe its time to sub-divide the WMU's to put more hunters where deer are and maybe not issue doe tags for a season or 2 where the numbers are way down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Couldn't agree more...DMAP tags are the worst thing ever created and the fact that these tag holders can in fact shoot does the first week in 3d is a joke

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Its been a good season so far, really enjoyed it. Tagged an 8 pointer last Friday and helped my buddy get a doe too. Heading out Saturday to try to fill my doe tag. Hunted mostly in 5C but also 3D, seen deer both places. My buck was in 5C, in my favorite spot.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I am in the woods almost everyday from the start of archery and will continue through late season using a bow. I shot a 10 point on September 30th in Ohio so all my time was devoted to hunting Pa. I had high hopes all season and had located several big mature bucks. Just had one of those years where I would zig and the bucks would zag. Bowhunting is all about picking the right tree and this year I did not and by the end of the rut it was clear to me I was 20 to 30 yards off on a couple stand locations that made the difference. I learned a lot for next year and have not given up on this year. I saw a decent amount of deer but not as many as some of the past years. I did see a lot small bucks and hardly heard any shots in gun season.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hunting 2A. Had a decent archery season, with deer sightings 8 out of 12 times out (either morning or evening hunts when time allowed, only a couple hours at a time), few decent buck in there but wasn't able to close the deal. Rifle has been a different story. This is my 30th year of hunting and by far this has been the quietest with shots heard, and also the least deer sightings. Less hunters to move the deer around. Tough one, and pretty frustrating. Keep reminding myself just to enjoy being out!

·
Registered
877 Posts
My year here in 2F has been great. Not only did my wife, son, and I have multiple deer encounters throughout the early part of Archery, My wife also had 3 encounters with a big mature 7pt (one of which - I had failed to cock my crossbow fully - thus it wouldn't fire when she had him at 30 yards broadside)... Then on the Oct. 28th I took a cool looking 5pt with my crossbow.... First week of rifle I couldn't hunt, so the wife and son did. But due to work and school, they didn't get out very much. Then last Saturday I headed out right after work (wife and son decided not to go) I got to the hunting spot at 7:45am, Shot my doe by 8:00am, and was back in my Vehicle by 9:00am.
This is the first time EVER - that I have completely tagged out.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Slow year for me. Saw quite a few deer the week of halloween including a really nice one on the 27th that i let get away uscathed, but the first week of november was very slow, i saw only 5 deer mon thru fri morning. But friday nite i saw nonstop action from 3 oclock on. Shot a decent 8 just before legal time ended and had deer around me till well after dark. Not sure why it was so slow that week, it's usually the week i see the most deer and the most rutting activity. Not many nice bucks on camera this year either, which also surprised me concidering i know several survived last seaon.

I concider myself fortunate to get one good opportunity at a mature buck per year here in pa. This years opportunity was a great encounter on a really nice buck, and due to an unblievably bad decision at crunch time i turned a chip shot at an unaware deer into a 20 yard shot at a deer that was aware something wasn't quite right. And for the first time in 40 years of bowhunting my arrow hit a twig i couldn't see in the low light. Actually the miss doesn't bother me much, but the poor decision i made just prior hurts every time i think about it.

My son got a decent 3 year old 8 point the first day of rifle season, i was elated when he sent me the picture about 7:30. And i saw a bear several times this fall, took a 7 minute video with my phone at 25 yds. So all in all i guess i had another great year in the pa woods.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Summer through September we were seeing lots of deer. Come October, they all disappeared. We would see maybe two in a turnip field spotting at night. Trail cams went cold too. In November, we started seeing more bucks but doe numbers still very low. Starting to see more doe coming back lately. I blame the bumper acorn crop on the bottom of the mountain. We just have overgrown clear cuts, blueberry thickets, laurel thickets and hemlock swamp where we hunt. The only mature forest that's nearby is maple with rocks and ferns below.

All that being said: my buddy got an 8-pointer and my son got a doe in archery. I got a 7-pointer, my dad got an 8-pointer and my buddy got a 300lb bear in rifle. Headed back up tonight to try and get my son a buck. I have a doe tag but don't know if I want to use it or not.

This is in Sullivan County, 3B.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Another disappointing year in 2f and yet our area was DMAP'ed again. Heard one shot within a mile or 2. Only 2 piles of deer droppings found. Between 3 camps 1 deer was seen the first 2 days. But I guess(according to some) we don't hunt hard enough.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I saw quite a bit more Deer in 3D (on private land) this season than the previous year. Particularly in the last two weeks of fall archery. They were all young bucks that came into calls and just barely legal. I let them walk with the exception of missing a 5 pt. Tree stand placement was not 100% on point. I'm almost positive my target buck was running around chasing a doe in the above field one morning while I was hunting the outside edge of a laurel thicket. Saw three doe the opening day of rifle and nothing since. Had some issues with trespassers that seems to have impacted deer movement on the property (26 acres). Trying for a few hours in the AM tomorrow. But I'm thinking I will be out for late season archery. There are a few big bucks around, however with such a small property the odds of seeing them are slim to none based on my two years experience of the property this late in the game. I've been watching one for 2 seasons and he always eludes me. Hard to not hunt the property but I also don't want to eat anymore tags. I'm thinking SGL for the late season this year.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Archery Season was OK but not near as good as previous years, rifle season was the worst this year with absolutely no deer sightings and hardly anyone out here at all to move them, shots were heard but the majority of them were way off and if any were heard in the areas I was hunting it was very few and some days even when there were a lot of folks out there were maybe very few heard. This area is public and even though there was plenty of deer sign, no deer to be seen here. Time to stop hunting this area that I have hunted now for probably close to 15 years or better and to find someplace new, hate to feel like this but the herd has almost become nonexistent here. I wish this area would go back to the 3 day doe season again instead of either sex for the whole 2 weeks.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I got my first deer with a crossbow this year, doe and saw more buck than doe in rifle season. I guess I'll be back in 2017.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Dismal in 3D in Luzerne County. I hunted the week of bear, then the two weeks of deer season. During that time, I saw 3-4 deer in bear season, 4 doe on the first day of buck. Pretty sure they were the same deer. Then 5 doe on the first Saturday. That's it. On the first day of buck I heard 5-6 shots between 7 am and noon. Heck, I used to hear that number walking into my stand! On the first Saturday in 3D, when you could shoot buck or doe, again.....maybe 5 shots by noon. And there were a fair number of hunters out on those days, but everyone you bumped into said the same thing...........saw nothing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts