The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have one? What engine would you reccomend? If you have one have you had any issues with any of the engines?

·
Registered
447 Posts
My 2017 F150 FX4 Lariat is due the week of June 5th. After a lot of research and countless YouTube videos I went with the 3.5 Ecoboost with the 10 speed transmission. Test drive one you will be amazed at the power and towing capacity.

I would have bought the King Ranch but it only comes in a Super Crew with a 5 1/2' box. I wanted a 6 1/2 box so I ordered a Super Cab with all of the King Ranch options for about 5500 less.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would recommend not buying any. Ford service is the worst I've ever seen,
Had multiple issue issue on mine and some have reoccurred ( I.e rear window defroster). Like I had to pull teeth to get warranty work.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
I bought a 2015 Super Crew F150 4x4 with a 3.5L Ecoboost. I've only owned it for about a year and a half, and have 36+ thousand miles on it so far. It's been good so far. The only complaint I have is the front rotors are warping and that the 110V outlets won't charge my portable power tool batteries. That being said, I had the same brake problem with my Tundra. As for customer service, I've not really needed it. I think that's sometimes more of a reflection of the dealer rather than the brand.

·
Registered
485 Posts
2015 Supercrew with the 2.7L and 3.55 EL rear. great drivetrain for a DD/weekend warrior truck. 44K+ miles and no mechanical issues. I did have the TSB for the harsh downshift done, but I dont think that pertains to the new trucks. The truck has otherwise been great so far.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
2016 Supercab with the 2.7L ecoboost with 15000 miles. I had 2, 5.0L (2011 and 2013) and prefer the little 2.7. I haven't had any problems with any of them though. The fuel milage is pretty good too for a full size pickup, 20 around town and 22-24 highway. The only complaint I have with my ford is I wish they would use a tailgate that drops slowly on its own like most of the others do.

·
Registered
485 Posts
2016 Supercab with the 2.7L ecoboost with 15000 miles. I had 2, 5.0L (2011 and 2013) and prefer the little 2.7. I haven't had any problems with any of them though. The fuel milage is pretty good too for a full size pickup, 20 around town and 22-24 highway. The only complaint I have with my ford is I wish they would use a tailgate that drops slowly on its own like most of the others do.
For $40 you can have the easy lower tailgate, I added it to mine. It's the lower 2 part numbers, you end up replacing a tailgate hinge and adding a strut behind the passenger side tail light.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Iv'e had my 2016 F150 , 3.5 eco boost ,extended cab, 8' bed for a little over a year now. Consistent 17mpg around town, 21 on hiway( usually loaded or small trailer)
I'm very happy with this truck. Iv'e owned 4 Ford pickups, and a '78 Bronco since 1975 and this is the best one to date. I agree with Wexford that service issues are a dealers problem.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
For $40 you can have the easy lower tailgate, I added it to mine. It's the lower 2 part numbers, you end up replacing a tailgate hinge and adding a strut behind the passenger side tail light.
Thanks! I have an appointment tomorrow for state inspection so I'll have them order these.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have a 2016 Regular Cab 4X4, 8' bed, with the 2.7 eco-boost and 3.55 rear. Only 10 months old, no problems so far. I've hauled bricks, rocks, lumber, landscaping blocks, compost, mulch, dead deer, and turkey.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I was told all the ecoboost engines have plastic timing chains and they need to be replaced every 60,000 miles if not and they break your engine will need replaced...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Got one at work with the v-8(5.0 I think) it gets beat hard with no trouble. It does need a manifold gasket as the guy that drives it backed into a pile of rock that hit the tailpipe and jarred to the front.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
I am waiting for my new company 20 F250. I always got a 350 but the options and stats are almost the same. It was ordered with the optional 7.3 gas engine 4X4 and a 10 speed auto. Not sure what towing cap will be but a 19 with this set-up is good for close to 20,000.
No crew cab just standard but did still get a 8' bed.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
I just bought a '19 4 door F-250. My previous three trucks were an '02 F-150, an '07 F-150 and a '14 F-150. They had the 5.4, 5.4 and 5.0 respectively. The first one was a Triton motor that blew the number 7 spark plug out at 110,000 miles. That was the only issue I ever had motor wise on any of them. My new truck is a 6.2 and I cannot imagine needing more power than it has. It rarely goes over 1700rpm. And I average 14.1 mpg for all around driving which is mostly back nd forth to work (5.5 miles each way) and just around town. On a trip home from camp, I got 17.4 mpg. That is with 3.73 axles and 275/70/18 tires.
I will never, ever buy another half ton pickup again after owning this truck. It is noticeably just a better, and better built truck than the F-150 is. I also got a very good deal on it, better than any deal I ever got on an F-150. They took over $10,000 off the window sticker price for what I paid for it.
The F-150 is the number one selling full size pickup in the US. They don't have to give good deals on them. If you don't buy them, the next person will.
To each their own, but I am an F-250 driver from here on out.
And FWIW, I would never buy any eco boost motor. They are small motors for the vehicles they are in. With the turbos, they work harder and rev higher. Higher RPM's, harder working = faster breakdowns. My mechanic tells me that he regularly works on eco boost motor issues. Again, to each their own. I know several guys who love theirs.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Have a 2016 F150 Crew with 5.0 V-8. have 32k on it now and am happy with it. Averaging 19 mpg right now. I tend to keep my truck for 10 years so I didn't want a turbo motor.

Reactions: Steeltrap

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
When I ordered my 2017 F-150 XLT I got the 5.0 V-8 as well. The 6-cyl turbo has lots of tiny moving parts in those turbo's and like a lot of people, I keep my vehicles for ten years. After 2 years of ownership my biggest beef is the cheep lug nuts that Ford puts on 'em. The factory lug's are made of two piece steel and after a few changes, water gets in there and the lugs puff out and you can't put a lug wrench on 'em. After market solid steel lugs stop all of that.....but hey.....come on Ford.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I will say this about my F-150. I've owned two Silverado's prior to the F-150 and on the second one I had to have a set of helper springs installed on the rear. I haul a UTV on my truck and the Sliverado's would sag to the point where oncoming traffic would flash their high beams at me because my truck sat low in the back and changed the low beam trajectory.

My new F-150 does not have that issue. The rear suspension along with the shock placement on the F-150 keep the truck where it should be. I have no regret's switching to the Ford.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
I was told all the ecoboost engines have plastic timing chains and they need to be replaced every 60,000 miles if not and they break your engine will need replaced...
Really? Is there a better aftermarket one available?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts