The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

2015 Garden

18K views 119 replies 33 participants last post by  Chief48 
#1 ·
How is everyone doing in the garden? My better half has had the seeds started for a few weeks now. Tilled the garden and started planting yesterday.

#2 ·
Got mine going. Peppers, zukes and cucumbers. The way the weathers been feels like June. I think we'll be okay planting a little early. I noticed most of the time the plants just sit there and don't take off till the end of May anyways.

#5 ·
I got the rest of mine in last weekend. I planted sugar snap peas, carrots, beets and cukes about 2 weeks ago. My peas are already 4-5 inches tall. I put in peppers, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes and lettuce this past weekend.

#8 ·
3 rows of tomatoes one of bell peppers some eggplants, two row of coles, two so far of green beans got a new asparagus patch planted they are sprouting, radishes are in with the red beets got three water melons stating and two pumpkins. built a new raised bed box into the bank next to the garage and re planted all my strawberries which are in flower now. got a feeling its going to be a good season.

#9 ·
I've been wrestling a million spring chores around all this early heat. One of the warmest Mays I can ever recall. I did finally get the garden in. Enlarged and simplified this year. In the garden is asparagus, red bell peppers, 3 tomato plants, and tons of bush beans. I've ditched the cucs and zucs cause I couldn't beat the squash bugs. No matter how many I planted they killed them all. I've moved them all up to my elevated deck to see how that works....well away from the garden. Hopefully that helps some.

#11 ·
I am getting tired of totting gallon jugs of water to the dang garden. It's May 19th for crying out loud!!! Waaaaaaay too early in the year for his crapola. less then 1/10" of rain since April 18th. My grass is already dying and turning brown and the earth is just dust right now. Dead bone dry in the SE. The garden is getting bigger by the week too as I plant my staged crops of corn and beans. I put in another row every 5 days. Last night I was up to 24 gallons to water and that is just lightly watering each item. Just enough to keep it alive. Rain...please....anytime now?

#12 ·
I planted onions, green peppers, tomatoes, sweet corn, and watermelon. This is my third year having a garden.

Last year everything was awesome except for the watermelon, last summer it got too cold in August for it to grow I think.

#13 ·
Buckethead said:
I tried an interesting experiment. I planted a sweet red bell pepper with a ghost pepper. Not sure if the bell pepper will pick up any heat from the ghost pepper or not.
No it won't. But if the ghost make it you should have all the heat you need.

#19 ·
This has been a very dry May. I've been running the sprinklers in the gardens for 4 hours at a clip, twice a week. Unheard of to have to water this much in May. Hitting the garden with watering cans or a garden hose doesn't really get things soaking wet, unless you really stay with it.

#22 ·
Trout, get some rain barrels and set them up next to the garden....won't help much now but next time you'll have some water close by..... I'm spoiled, my gardens are 20 feet and 50 feet from my hose.... Get grass clippings around the plants to keep moisture in too.....Good luck.

#23 ·
Rhubarb question.....

This plant is 2 years old. I pulled approx 5 leaves and have about 3 cups of 1" stalks cut up. There are 3 very long stalks sprouting leaves now, these stalks are huge!
I read not to remove more than 1/3 of plant stems. Can I remove and use these long thick stalks? This plant grows like a monster, while a second is just starting to get some stalks.
Thanks!

#24 ·
You can see mine in the last picture I posted. It was one of the red varieties (don't remember). Yours looks like a tall green type. Mine I cut off at ground level preferably no thicker then index finger size. It gets tougher when it gets too big.
On a different note, we are getting pounded right now. My big easy read rain gage is close to 1 3/4". Unfortunately, my stinking pool cover is still on. This could be going in the pool.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.