The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that more information is being released about the newest F-150 what are your impressions?

Personally I'm on the fence about all the aluminum parts and I don't see the point in offering a turbocharged 2.7L in a full size pickup.

I think dropping the 6.2L is a good call but I'd like to see it replaced with a supercharged 5.0L option or a turbocharged option, if the supercharger added to much cost. I never understood why Ford put the 6.2L in the Raptor when a lighter (supercharged
) 5.0L would give it better weight distribution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,464 Posts
If they are replacing plastic with aluminum, I'm all for it.
Never like a turbo on anything, they're expensive from the get go and over work the small engine. It's like taking a 98 pound weakling, putting him on steroids, then watch him do amazing things, but how long is he going to last?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They claim to have reduced the weight of the truck by 700 lbs by replacing steel parts with aluminum. Essentially, the frame and body panels are aluminum rather than steel.

I tend to avoid turbochargers as well because they can be hit or miss for reliability. As far as the engine is concerned; as long as the internal engine components are built strong enough to withstand excess load then generating more power with less cubic inches isn't an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,840 Posts
What I read, the frame was still going to be steel. I don't know how it couldn't and still be safe. I'm okay with losing 700 pounds of body weight. Should easily transfer to better mpg.
I don't like the Ecoboost concept either. In a truck I want the cubic inches. I've spoken to many guys driving the 5.0's and getting decent mileage already. Should be even better in 2015. I will be ready to buy a new truck in 2016. I'm thinking it will def be another F-150.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
949 Posts
I'm sure they will sell a ton of the 2.7's if there getting excellent mpg's which they should be. Rumor is they will be pushing 30 mpg's. I've read that these motors will be making over 300 hp and almost 400 ftlb of torque which is plenty of power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,385 Posts
I would like to know if they did any testing of what the winter salt will do to the aluminum parts,I worked on military aircraft on an aircraft carrier and the ocean salt spray ate the aircraft up that you were always working on them to stop the corrosion .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,390 Posts
Retiredusne8 said:
I would like to know if they did any testing of what the winter salt will do to the aluminum parts,I worked on military aircraft on an aircraft carrier and the ocean salt spray ate the aircraft up that you were always working on them to stop the corrosion .
In addition to the Navy/Army/Marine Corps, all auto companies conduct extensive corrosion testing on materials. In fact there is a specific test developed by GM.

BTW: Because of several factors, in most cases aluminum is more generally corrosion resistant than steel. However, there are other problems (pitting) created in choride (ocean) environments. This is why the Navy aircraft are carefully maintained. In some cases Al will be used as a coating on steel to protect it. There is a thermal spray technique to clad steel with Al that is very/very effective. I don't think Ford is using that technique.

Ocean spray environments are some of the most corrosion prone. Used to be a Navy/Army corrosion test site at Kure Beach NC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,132 Posts
kudu58 said:
What I read, the frame was still going to be steel. I don't know how it couldn't and still be safe. I'm okay with losing 700 pounds of body weight. Should easily transfer to better mpg.
I don't like the Ecoboost concept either. In a truck I want the cubic inches. I've spoken to many guys driving the 5.0's and getting decent mileage already. Should be even better in 2015. I will be ready to buy a new truck in 2016. I'm thinking it will def be another F-150.
Actually they could easily make safe frames from Alm. Freightliner trucks were available with Alm frames back in the 70's.
Bigger issue I could see would be as they age, anywhere they bolt steel components to the Alm frame will want to have corrosion issues. I have seen that over the years on Flatbed trailers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,390 Posts
buzz said:
kudu58 said:
What I read, the frame was still going to be steel. I don't know how it couldn't and still be safe. I'm okay with losing 700 pounds of body weight. Should easily transfer to better mpg.
I don't like the Ecoboost concept either. In a truck I want the cubic inches. I've spoken to many guys driving the 5.0's and getting decent mileage already. Should be even better in 2015. I will be ready to buy a new truck in 2016. I'm thinking it will def be another F-150.
Actually they could easily make safe frames from Alm. Freightliner trucks were available with Alm frames back in the 70's.
Bigger issue I could see would be as they age, anywhere they bolt steel components to the Alm frame will want to have corrosion issues. I have seen that over the years on Flatbed trailers.
Yes that is a potential problem. There are ways to isolate the steel and aluminum which prevents the corrosion potential. Hopefully, the issues of the steel/al connections being isolated is taken care of.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top