The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Howie and Chip are trying to secure some of their own free agents before other teams get a shot at them.
Yesterday they signed Peters to a deal that should allow him to retire an Eagle and reports are they are very close to inking contracts with Cooper and Kelce. This will keep the whole 2013 O line intact for the coming season.
Looks like the jets are interested in Maclin and Vick but in the end the Eagles will offer Maclin a one year deal to prove he is back 100%.
Other than the kicker Jones it seems the Eagles are going to let the rest of their free agents walk.
Hope they make a play for a safety that might hit free agency and try and grab a few good linebackers in the draft.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cooper and Kelce are done deals

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
Looks like maybe it could be turning into a place guys want to play,and a coach and system desirable to stay in.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heard today the problem is Eagles want to sign Maclin to a multi-year lower numbers deal where Maclin is all for the 1 year "show me" type contract then go for the cash next season when he had a chance to show he is the Jeromy of old.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Maclin's deal is done.
He signed for one year to a 6 million dollar contract, and 3.5 of the money is guaranteed.
Things seem to go smoother and faster since Banner is out of the picture.

·
Registered
40,122 Posts
That is an important signing for the Birds. If everybody can stay healthy they have one of the best, if not, the best, receiving corps in the NFL.

Btw, you're right about Banner. He was always trying to win the salary cap championship and he usually did. He could squeeze the you know what's off the buffalo nickel.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If 16:00 today passes and the Bills don't hang a tag on safety Jairus Byrd the Eagles could get a shot at him next week.
We'll see how good Howie is at negotiations since Byrds going to want a long term deal in the 10 mil @ season range and a lot of it guaranteed.
He would definitely fill a big hole but I'm not sure he is worth that kind of cash and commitment.

·
Registered
40,122 Posts
The Bills did not place the franchise tag on Byrd but said they will try to sign him. This is according to ESPN.

·
Registered
40,122 Posts
Eagles release WR Jason AvantUpdated: March 4, 2014, 1:36 PM ETESPN.com news services
WR Jason Avant Released By Eagles

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Philadelphia Eagles have released veteran wide receiver Jason Avant.</span>

The Eagles announced the move in a statement Tuesday. Team chairman Jeffrey Lurie referred to Avant as a true professional and a role model.

The Eagles have already replaced Jason Avant on the field but replacing him in the locker room will be a tougher task, writes Phil Sheridan.

"There have not been any players who have represented the Philadelphia Eagles with more class and dignity than Jason Avant," Lurie said in the statement. "Whether it was in the locker room, on the playing field or in the community, he has always been a true professional, a role model and a winner every step of the way.

"On behalf of the entire organization, I wish Jason and his wife, Stacy, and their two daughters nothing but the best as he continues his fine career."

Avant, 30, has spent his entire eight-year career with Philadelphia and developed into a reliable receiver for the Eagles.

"There's no question releasing a player like Jason is one of the toughest parts of the job," general manager Howie Roseman said. "It's a tough day when you have to say goodbye to player who you have so much respect for. I can't thank him enough for the leadership, the big plays and the positive impression he made on so many of his teammates."

The 6-foot Avant had 38 catches for 447 yards and two touchdowns this past season.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like the Eagles got a Safety in Malcolm Jenkins. The deal is for 3 years at 16.25 mil and 8.5 is guaranteed.
This is around half as much as Jairus Byrd is looking to get.
He's never been to the Pro bowl but was taken as the 14th player over all by the Saints in 09.
Nate Allen, Colt Anderson and Kurt Coleman are all going by bys.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
Not a huge "splash", which I'm fine with...but I like this signing. They seem to have learned a lesson from years past when they were signing all the big ticket FA and killing the chemistry of the team and FA not playing up to the big contract.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Byrd signed with the saints 6 years 56 mil, think they said 28 of it guaranteed. I liked Byrd but don't know if i would have paid that much if I were the Eagles. I'm ok with the Jenkins signing, still going to need another safety. Tj ward signed with the broncos, Mike Mitchell signed with the Steelers so they are getting thin out there. Looks like Denver is loading up on defense.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Eagles signed safety and special teams player Chris Maragos to a three-year contrac.
His deal is worth $4 million, with $1 million guaranteed and incentives that could bring the total value to about $5.2 million.
This will fill the role of Colt Anderson, and he will most likely be used for his special teams play with the hope of him developing into a back-up at safety.
Now that Demetrius-Ware is a FA lets see if Howie makes a play for him, but I feel he will end up in Denver.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For a 5th round pick, Howie must have been wearing a mask when he made that deal. Sproles still has over a 3 million dollar price tag. Good accusation but he is on the small size if they think he will be a replacement for Jason Avant.
If they are looking to have him in the backfield they should have gone after someone that has fullback size to protect Foles while he waits for the pass to open.

From what Kelly has coming back from last season and what he added so far I can't wait for the season to start.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
The formations Chip will use with Sproles and Shady will bring defenses out of their shoes. He will not be a replacement for Avant, he will be an added weapon on offense with the screen pass and confusing formations. He's also good for KR/PR.

Imagine this....

Shady and Sproles line up in the backfield, the defense has the personnel to defend, when suddenly they move to the line in pass formation = defense is screwed.

1 - 20 of 289 Posts