The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 7303 Posts

·
20,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enough waiting! Out with the old and in with the new!!!The 14-15 thread is here! I, for one, and super optimistic about the promise of a new season, with new leadership, and a largely new lineup. Significant change has finally arrived and there isn't a Pens fan alive that shouldn't be feeling a renewed sense of hope! GO PENS!!!

·
4,229 Posts
Glad to see the new thread started. I have optimism for the new season as well. I hope the FA moves, albeit minor, help propel this team.

It will be interesting to see how the coaching change will pan out. Little experience at a pro level but appears to have the right ideas that could work for this group of players.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The Pittsburgh Penguins have invited 37 players to the team’s annual prospect development camp that will be held July 15-19, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Jim Rutherford.

The prospects will be on the ice for their first practice on Tuesday afternoon at CONSOL Energy Center. Camp will conclude on Saturday, July 19 with a scrimmage that is free and open to the public beginning at 3 p.m.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I'm looking forward to this season. Plenty of changes and plenty of unknowns, but, IMO, better than not answering the known issues of years past.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
LOL. Nice to see I kept all of you on the edge of your seats while I was on vacation this past week...

It remains to be seen how this coming season will play out but even with all the changes at the top, the players in and the players out, I still see nothing new with this team that makes me sit up and think "man this team is going to be unstoppable this year." (negative enough for you?)

I obviously can't criticize the new management, coaches, and players yet, but it just looks like another rehashing of the same old, ho hum, 2010-2014 Pittsburgh Penguins.

I mean, can anyone really point to anywhere in the lineup with a straight face and say that they got better? Anyone? ANYONE? Buehler?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Win or Lose, can't wait for Hockey and Hunting Seasons!

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:
LOL. Nice to see I kept all of you on the edge of your seats while I was on vacation this past week...

It remains to be seen how this coming season will play out but even with all the changes at the top, the players in and the players out, I still see nothing new with this team that makes me sit up and think "man this team is going to be unstoppable this year." (negative enough for you?)

I obviously can't criticize the new management, coaches, and players yet, but it just looks like another rehashing of the same old, ho hum, 2010-2014 Pittsburgh Penguins.

I mean, can anyone really point to anywhere in the lineup with a straight face and say that they got better? Anyone? ANYONE? Buehler?
Where did the Trask family enjoy their time off?

Maybe, to answer your question, this will all be about "addition by subtraction".

Or, as Bushmaster put it on the old thread "Trask, regardless of what the pens do you'll find a way to thrive on the negative. It's okay, it's just who ya are! Go Pens!"

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
eddie spaghetti said:
Where did the Trask family enjoy their time off?
Had to be Seattle. The sun never shines, it's always gloomy, and it rains 364 days a year.

But hey, different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Talent wise, they may be about the same. We traded Neal for a guy like the Neal we traded for, plus a 3rd line guy. Top 2 lines may look the same, with a new left shot playing with Sid so Dupuis can move to the 3rd line, dependent on his recovery. The bottom two lines will, by default, be better. One way to make them better would be to trade Adams and his lofty -16 to anyone willing to give up a bag of pucks. Defensively, they will be younger. Gotta see what the past 5 years of taking defensemen has yielded. Flower will be Flower. They will be tougher. Ricky T will assure that. I doubt teams will be allowed to get mail delivered to the crease like they did under Disco. Time will tell. Changes had to be made, there was no reason to continue with a failed model.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
Is Horny the gritty, front of the net scorer that he's billed to be? Have they had a player like Downie in recent years? Is Erhoff an improvement over Kitten Fur? So, Trask, I would say there are three examples of improvement.

I love Neal but, let's face it. When he wasn't scoring or kneeing Marchant in the head (I'll always love him for that), what was he contributing? Not a lot.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Add in the puck possession mindset, the all but eliminated stretch-pass and a fella(Downie) declaring publicly that our players will not be taken advantage of and I'd say you have three more improvements.

What do you want, Trask?????????????????

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
I thought Disco Dan's "getting to our game" was all about puck possession??? You know, taking it to the other team IN THEIR END and getting the puck out of your own end as quickly as possible???

Downie's role remains to be seen. By him publicly declaring that players won't have liberties taken against them this year, he has the eyes of the NHL on him now and the first reckless thing he does will result in a punishment because of his reputation. I'm quite sure that the rest of the NHL didn't bat an eyelash when Downie made that "threat".

In the end it will come down to accountability and whether the new coaching staff can drill responsibility into their heads. Get rid of the globetrotter mentality and just play smart, sound, gritty, fundamental hockey and let the rest wash out...

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
In the end it will come down to accountability and whether the new coaching staff can drill responsibility into their heads. Get rid of the globetrotter mentality and just play smart, sound, gritty, fundamental hockey and let the rest wash out...

Can't argue with that Trask, couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
TraskOutdoors said:
I thought Disco Dan's "getting to our game" was all about puck possession??? You know, taking it to the other team IN THEIR END and getting the puck out of your own end as quickly as possible???

Downie's role remains to be seen. By him publicly declaring that players won't have liberties taken against them this year, he has the eyes of the NHL on him now and the first reckless thing he does will result in a punishment because of his reputation. I'm quite sure that the rest of the NHL didn't bat an eyelash when Downie made that "threat".

From all that I've read that's precisely what they wish to accomplish. At this point that's all we have to go on. We all have to wait and see.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
When Downie made that statement, I didn't take it as he was threatening anyone. To me, he sounded like a guy who understood exactly why he was being signed here and knows just what will be expected of him. If he follows up on that with his play, that would be ideal. If he takes a suspension or two to get the point across, I got no problem with that. If I were the team, I'd even pay his fines. Maybe some of that mentality rubs off on some of the other guys-a bonus! Go ahead and (as you so often do) crap on them signing the guy but with exactly no games played and no practices held, I don't see the down side.

1 - 20 of 7303 Posts