The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 goals this year. One is to get out a lot more than I did last year, especially with my daughters. Second, I aim to catch each type of trout in our state.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My goal is to catch one over 20", but that's usually my goal every year. Last year i had a brown over 19, but couldn't quite stretch it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My goal is to hit a lot of unstocked "wild trout" waters up at camp this year. I'd like to land a native brookie, wild brown,and wild rainbow with the flyrod in the same season. I always manage to get my share of native brooks and browns, but the wild rainbow would be a first. Throw a native tiger trout in the mix too.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
bjb2799 said:
Same as it is every year... get my pole wet as much as possible.
I try to get my line wet as much as possible. . . This must be a new fishing technique.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Last years goal was to fish 100 days. I was on pace to do it and had 20 days in by May. Then I bought a boat.... and only got out another 9 days the rest of the year. In those 29 days I did catch around 200 fish though.

My goal this year is to catch a golden Rainbow trout and get out at least 50 days.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes I forgot to include catching the golden trout in my goals as well. I've never caught one, however, if i do, I'd like it to be a surprise as I reel it in. I dunno how many times I've wasted a day trying to catch one I spotted in the water.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
ryanpgh said:
Yes I forgot to include catching the golden trout in my goals as well. I've never caught one, however, if i do, I'd like it to be a surprise as I reel it in. I dunno how many times I've wasted a day trying to catch one I spotted in the water.
I had two on the line last year. For some reason I took my net off and left it on the bank when I waded into the water... I'm still not sure why I did this. Sure enough I get a golden on the line. I tried to walk it back to the Bank and it got off only a few feet from my net. I was really annoyed with myself.

The other was not hooked well and got off fairly quick.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
My go to Golden trout fly is a prince nymph size 14 beadhead

Golden trout go to bait Pink Shrip egg/wax worm combo.

I find myself targeting these trout. Mainly because i know that most everyone who passed it threw something at it. I am lucky that my club gets a lot of these from the state. We grow them big and they end up being like pets. This was my favorite. It was released after a few pictures. It made it about 4 days before being caught and kept. I hope who ever caught it was as happy as i was to catch it. VERY PICKY FISH!!

If anyone is in my area and wants to know some hotspots to get these guys shoot me a pm. I do ask that you practice C&R but it would not be a rule.

I won the biggest trout at camp 2 years in a row with a 17 1/4" and an 18" Golden in 2010 and 2011. I lost a bigger one than that last year after i threw every fly in my box at him. He gave one crazy fight and came out of the water twice. The old guy above me about fell in the stream over laughing at me. I wont the award last year with a 14 1/2" rainbow though.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I caught twp goldens, both over 20" on opening morning last spring. Pretty cool to release both of them and then watch everyone fish for them the next couple weeks.
My goal for this year is to spend as much time as I can up at camp with my dad. He is retiring on March 29th. We have not gotten to fish together much the past few years. Definitely going to do some catching up. If we manage to catch a few trout. So much the better.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
One of my goal is to hit 50 on the fly rod, been close a few times and probably should have had it before if I would have landed them all...my other goal is to catch a 20" wild brown on the fly rod, been close just never made it

·
Registered
234 Posts
Get my dad up to Erie and get him another steelhead. Fish the Little J at least once. Catch a limit of trout and deep fry them. And a life goal catch a wild brown over 24". I'm up to 21".

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
My goal is to take two young boys out as much as possible and get them involved in fishing for the first time.

No longer set goals for size, qty., and such, just out to enjoy the outdoors fishing solitary and with friends.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I enjoy taking people trout fishing in MT.

I've already caught many fish, big fish, and fooled the hardest ones to catch.

For 2013, as I have done for the past few years, I want to continue to share my time and knowledge helping others enjoy their time on the water. And when they catch fish, and I see that smile on their face, you can bet that I'll be enjoying every minute of it.

John

·
20,126 Posts
My goal....or at least one of them.....is the same every year. I've always wanted to run to NC PA and fish the Oswayo and nearby creeks. Not really sure why but it's always a place that I've wanted to go and spend a days at. Troy and I are discussing a possible trip and it miht have to be in that area. Can't wait May to get this all goin' again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts