The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one planned?

I have at least one, going in friday mid day of the first week, coming out sunday morning. Archery season, dont know if I can hack rifle. If the temps are like the past opener of rifle I might do it to get super remote on opening day also.

Short list for income tax time includes a shangri-la 5 with either a tiGoat or kifaru stove. No weather will stop me in 2014.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
We did one in 2006, and canoed down the W Branch Susky the following year. I will search for the threads. Both were great times in PA! Have fun! We went 2 for 2 the first year, and 0-2 second year, but we did have encounters!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds awesome. I would do a boat trip too if I could find the right area to take my bass boat(aluminum).

I struck out in Ohio last year due to the hurricane, time for something else for this year.

Ill have enough points for Iowa 2015 and plan on camping for it also.

Really hard to find guys to go, Im surprised the lack of drive most seem to have to try somewhere or something new.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Curious where you hunt and camp? I haven't been able to figure out a good plan for a backpacking hunt for the husband and I (always hunting public land).

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
West Philly, state forests, but keep in mind my footprint is ultra small. Its like I never even was there. Im not camping with a huge group in wall tents. Im camping back in remote enough that if they wanna come and give me grief Ill just accept it.

I leave no trace of any kind.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Little Bear said:
JLH, that sounds like a super trip...let us know how you make out.Good luck.
Planning on taking some video. When its edited Ill be sure to share.

Just got myself a new big agnes air core mat in the mail yesterday. Tried blowing it up once and ordered an instaflator

http://www.themillair.com/

·
Registered
551 Posts
jlh42581 said:
West Philly, state forests, but keep in mind my footprint is ultra small. Its like I never even was there. Im not camping with a huge group in wall tents. Im camping back in remote enough that if they wanna come and give me grief Ill just accept it.

I had looked at Tuscarora awhile back for a similar trip (only scouting, though, no actual hunting) which, if I recall, allows camping but I decided it was too thick with brush to proceed (from what I read). I was nervous with the remoteness, too. I was not worried about you leaving a trace, just curious if you were planning on public land. We are novices with backpacking, though. My middle daughter asked for us to go backpacking for her birthday, so we did and the kids even did great hauling water and being conscientious and hardworking, but we had to cut it short because my husband got a bad kidney stone attack. Some day we'll go by ourselves and go small and do a hunt that way. I wish you lots of luck and I hope you'll post your video.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
jlh42581 said:

I thought you were allowed to primitive camp in State forests. Why would someone give you grief? Used to be as long as you didn't stay in one spot more than 2 nights you were fine. That is if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
HammerDown15 said:
I thought you were allowed to primitive camp in State forests. Why would someone give you grief?
That's right. It's legal in state forests and the Allegheny National Forest. Camping is prohibited on state game lands.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
jlh42581 said:
Anyone have one planned?

I have at least one, going in friday mid day of the first week, coming out sunday morning. Archery season, dont know if I can hack rifle. If the temps are like the past opener of rifle I might do it to get super remote on opening day also.

Short list for income tax time includes a shangri-la 5 with either a tiGoat or kifaru stove. No weather will stop me in 2014.
Why the Shangri-La 5?
Unless your going with others, even though they are pretty lightweight the 5 seems kinda big for 1 guy.
I was looking at the Shangri-La 3. It's pretty light and I like the option of using just the fly or just the nest (on warm buggy nights).

·
Registered
551 Posts
HammerDown15 said:
jlh42581 said:

I thought you were allowed to primitive camp in State forests. Why would someone give you grief? Used to be as long as you didn't stay in one spot more than 2 nights you were fine. That is if I remember correctly.
I understood the OP's message to be just making sure I understood he was camping ethically, not that anyone was giving him grief. It is absolutely allowed.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
As for tents I have the Marmot Nusku 3p and love it. comes in at close to 6lbs and is heavy duty. I'd seriously consider it if you are planning a lot of backcountry camping.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tracker said:
jlh42581 said:
Anyone have one planned?

Why the Shangri-La 5?
Unless your going with others, even though they are pretty lightweight the 5 seems kinda big for 1 guy.
I was looking at the Shangri-La 3. It's pretty light and I like the option of using just the fly or just the nest (on warm buggy nights).
Thought behind the 5 is that maybe I can convince some of those guys who are on the fence to go along. That and my son will hopefully join me before long.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
That's a nice tent. Is it a solo?

I have quite a few tents. These two are the main ones I use if I take a tent.
I'm a gear junkie though and always looking at different ones. LoL

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice setups you have there too. Im really looking forward to having heat in the future while I am awake. Yeah its a solo.

I watched ebay like a hawk. I found this one after looking every day for three months. I paid $60 for it shipped to the house.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Due to the weather my trip was canceled. I even went as far as buying a spot system and activating it. That rain and this east wind wouldnt have played well into the area I was headed. I called it off.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts