The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems we usually get these going in fall, but I have not seen one yet.

Let's say one photo (cream of the crop shot) per user a day, this season only. Feel free to post more than one photo form a single outing but let's keep it to one a day. Doesn't matter if it was posted in another thread of yours, this post isn't meant to take the place of photo'd stories, lest just keep it to this season. If it's deemed that these rules suck, then start another and let this post fade into HPA obscurity.

Blaze's first woodcock. I picked Blaze up 12/23 of last year when he was 5 and half month old. We missed the entire first season together not to mention some fun summer pup work. He'd not seen a ton of work up until got him but the breeding was there. We've been playing catch up but he's coming along. Looking at my notes I made sure to take him out around the same time I got into woodcock big time last year. In a little less than three hours we (with a buddy) put up 17. He had one go up right under his nose and he caught on to the woodcock game quick. He finished the night with a pointed bird I shot for him. (hanging from the trigger guard).

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
My 11 year old setter "Missy" working grouse in the U.P. a few weeks ago. Her style and ground speed has dropped some from her younger days but she can still hunt day after day for two or three hours. Still very tough on the birds. Steady to the shot and still stands off her birds.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Here's Trip and a one of Pointer's "catch and release" chukars

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Woodcock Point

The end result of that point (and another one)

Grouse point

Another woodcock over a point

Result of a grouse point

Another grouse point

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
my springer ready for the hunt

another good retrieve

in the brush

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Had a great hunt this morning!

On the way back to the truck after limiting out, my guy found three more, including this hen. If you look carefully she's right up against that log and you can just make her out...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Lyco, I saw you last Friday (11-2-12), late in the afternoon up in the game lands. You and a young hunter were running your young dog (pup by, Long Gone ???? X Penn Star daughter).

Would you give me a call 570-412-9232 or email at [email protected], I would like to talk to you about the young dog.

Thanks

Dean Conklin

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
(Yeah Dean, that was me. We were hunting "squirrel". We did okay, did even better down in your neck of the woods the following day. I'll shoot you an email sometime this weekend.)

Took Annie out this evening after work hunted about 50 minutes before dark. Young dog but let me flush both, remained steady to shot. Completely dark by the time I got to the camera, hastily set it up, plopped her down with a whoa and snapped the shot. . . didn't realize I put a pad on the stock. Stayed there though, good girl. After our usual birds tomorrow.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wanted to post the photo of my GSP's after a nice hunt today with a buddy from work who I think I have turned into a bird dog addict. The point was good the shots were good, The retrieve to hand was great. if you can help me post the picture of the dogs with one of the birds let me know

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you look pretty much right under the dogs nose you can see a woodcock. It was a crippled bird that he found for me, not an actual point.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts