The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Since I just figured out how to post pics. Here is my buck from 2011. He grossed 136 1/2. My biggest buck so far

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shot him in the back of his neck through the spine and throat. The story behind this deer is almost unbelievable. Ill explain when I have a free monents

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He is the story. I was walking to my stand and one had two bad ways to walk in one through possible bedding and one on the trail side I was thinking deer would come from that night. The wind was right to hunt the trail so I skirted the edge of the bedding. It's thick grasses and thorn briars with some small sapling trees. I put in an arrow and put my release in the string thinking if I jump a deer maybe they will stop long enough to get a shot off. I knew where I had jumped deer before I I slowed down and really watched this area. Low and behold this guy and another a little smaller jumped up and this buck stopped at 15-17 yards and looked the other bucks way. The only shot I had was straight threw the back of the neck and out the front. I let it fly and he went down 50 yards later. I couldn't believe it

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
NoMojo said:
The only shot I had was straight threw the back of the neck and out the front. I let it fly and he went down 50 yards later. I couldn't believe it
Big buck but thats a very low percentage shot to take. Would have you chanced a shot like that on a doe? I'm glad you were able to recover him but this could just as easily be a wounded buck story. Hopefully you learned something from the experience

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would take that shot at any deer. I know my skills at that yardage. Wounded deer come from people who try to go out of there comfort zone and take a " I hope so shot". Be confident in your ability and know your limits. Have success

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
NoMojo said:
Wounded deer come from people who try to go out of there comfort zone and take a " I hope so shot".
That's pretty scary that you don't consider a neck shot with a bow a "I hope so shot". Use your head and aim for the heart/lung area.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That scary that you feel the need to tell me what I should think. If you can't center punch a deers neck at 15 yards then get a crossbow. You got in your car and drove to work this morning didn't you. That could have easily been a dead guy on the highway story but you still did it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts