The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">2011-12 harvest stats by WMU</span></span>

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
31% of the bucks were taken by about 40% of the total deer hunters.

Shouldn't it be that if 40% of the hunters hunt, that they should get 40% of the bucks??????

I know you don't wanna hear that Joe.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
31% of the bucks were taken by about 40% of the total deer hunters.
Could be why 60% are saying there are no deer. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,623 Posts
Looks like the firearms season is primarily responsible for the increased total harvest this year. Antlered archery harvest up less than 1%.

If my memory is correct, the percentage of bucks killed by archers dropped a bit this year? Outside of the SRA, percentage of total harvest by archers is lower than I thought.

Thanks for posting, FT.

·
Registered
18,623 Posts
My calculations show success on antlered deer by archery is 14%. Success by firearms is 13%. That is if everyone that has a valid tag hunts.

Pretty fair to say that most archers also spend more days afield on average than the average firearms hunter.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Pretty fair to say that most archers also spend more days afield on average than the average firearms hunter
When a half hour before or after work/school is called "a day afield" it is a no brainer. Waugh!

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
Antlered archery harvest up less than 1%.
One can never count on the orange army invading.

·
Registered
18,623 Posts
It is painfully apparent that our muzzleloader folks are getting the short end of the stick for antlered deer. I would support the idea of a special early season inline hunt for antlered deer. By draw, similar to the elk lottery. Be cool to see that. Leave it up to the biologists how many tags to award.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
No they are not! Anyone is free to hunt any season, no one is derived from doing it. Inlines can be used in the general deer season and in reality are as dependable and accurate as centerfire rifles. Inline hunters are not getting the short end of anything. Just another case of joining in a game, then wanting to change the rules jst for them. We are oversubscribed with special seasons now, enough is enough.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Painfully? Are you serious? The vast majority of hunters that Muzzy hunt also either archery or gun hunt and most do both. I know of zero hunters that Muzzy hunt only.

·
Registered
18,623 Posts
I know guys, change is hard for some. Many states have a inline season where antlered deer are legal.

As I said, we would have to explore a draw similar to our elk lottery. But with our muzzleloader folks only killing 1% of our bucks, it seems reasonablle to me that there is some room for movement there for them.

·
Registered
18,623 Posts
LONZO said:
Painfully? Are you serious? The vast majority of hunters that Muzzy hunt also either archery or gun hunt and most do both. I know of zero hunters that Muzzy hunt only.
The thruth is that most archers also pick up a rifle and just under half of our firearms deer hunters also archery hunt. All can shoot a buck in a specific season for each weapon. Inline hunters have no such specific season opportuntiy.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
We do have a season where inlines are legal and bucks are legal, it is called the general deer season. This every sporting arm needs a seperate season is nonsense. We should probably have a seperate season for each caliber of centerfire rifles as well, that would make everyone feel special.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
They have a season where antlered deer are legal, it starts the monday after Thanksgiving. Ops didn't see your reply.

·
Registered
18,623 Posts
John S said:
We should probably have a seperate season for each caliber of centerfire rifles as well, that would make everyone feel special.
How about cowboy action day, LOL. Seriously, John, you speak like it isn't he norm to have seprate seasons for weapon classifications. Anyway, as hunter number decrease, new opportunities will come. I expect this to be one of them down the road. It could be done now with a draw, like elk.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
DPMS,

I would disagree with the early inline season. The reason is that rifle hunters would feel forced to buy an inline and with the current economy that probably isn't a good idea. Rifle hunters would also complain that more buck are now taken before their season starts. I would think after the general firearm season something could be done. One thing to consider about the statistics of the muzzleloader for buck is that alot of muzzleloader hunters killed their buck with a bow or rifle earlier in the season anyway. Most of the guys that I know that muzzleloader hunt save one doe tag just for that.

·
Registered
18,623 Posts
I understand. Many ways to look at it. Social factors would certianly be high. Having something after general rifle is a option.

Anyway, I would like to see muzzleloader hunters geting a legitimate chance to hunt bucks in a special season for them. That is all.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts