The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I had a 1994 and liked it pretty well It was a 4 cylinder 5 speed and a bit under powered though. But I drove it for 10 years and a 151,000 miles before selling it. So not bad, I think the 6 cylinders are now getting nearly the same mileage that my 4 cylinder did back then.

I've since gotten a 2006 Tundra that I like. I'd also look at the Tundra with the 4.6L V-8 if you would consider a bigger truck. In between my Toyota's I had a Nissan Frontier. Also a good truck. I got rid of of it with 163K miles on it. My next truck i'll be deciding between the Tacoma, Tundra and Frontier.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
If it hasn't been rode hard and put away wet, should be a good ride. I more than happy with my 05 Tundra. Next one will probably be a Tacoma, no longer have the need for a truck the size of new Tundras, F150,etc.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Coureur De Bois said:
If it hasn't been rode hard and put away wet, should be a good ride. I more than happy with my 05 Tundra. Next one will probably be a Tacoma, no longer have the need for a truck the size of new Tundras, F150,etc.
You have to dry it off after a rain? Why?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
BRN2RUN said:
Coureur De Bois said:
You have to dry it off after a rain? Why?
It's an old country saying pertaining to a horse. Imply,s it wasn't taken care of, or abused.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Yeah, I've used it that way in my younger crazy days.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a 2.7l reg cab and love it. I'd check the frame and motor mounts for excessive rust though. You have a particular one you're looking at? Miles? Price?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Im pretty sure the only 2nd Gen's with rust issues are the '05 & '06 model years. I have a '13 Double cab 4x4 Sport, the only complaint I have is size, but thats only because i downsized from a tundra crewmax. I was used to having a lot of room.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
I have an 04 Tacoma 4 door and I love it, 178,000 miles and still running strong

·
Registered
310 Posts
Go for it. I have a 2011 SR5 double cab Taco. Only complaint, gas mileage could be better. I average around 19 with the V6.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
rtkbowhunter said:
Go for it. I have a 2011 SR5 double cab Taco. Only complaint, gas mileage could be better. I average around 19 with the V6.
rtk... is the 19 mpg mileage on the highway? I'm curious because I get 17 to just under 18 with my 2006 Tundra with a 4.7L V8. I'm trying to decide what to do here sometime soon too. For only 1 or 2 of mpg, I may stick with a Tundra.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
They are coming out with a new Tacoma next summer that is supposed to get 4-5MPG better gas mileage. That's what I am waiting for. hope I like the looks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I bought my 2010 Tacoma only 28,000 miles. Set in garage all winter, older couple that owned it flew to Florida for the winter. No rust no dings, looks like New. I really like it. 22 mpg hothead

·
Registered
310 Posts
WexfordBowhunter said:
rtkbowhunter said:
rtk... is the 19 mpg mileage on the highway? I'm curious because I get 17 to just under 18 with my 2006 Tundra with a 4.7L V8. I'm trying to decide what to do here sometime soon too. For only 1 or 2 of mpg, I may stick with a Tundra.
Wex,

The mpg is a mix of mostly highway and some city, and no I'm not easy on the gas pedal. I lurk on Tacoma World and it looks like the average mpg of 2nd Gen Taco owners is right around the 19-20mpg. Most of the Tundra owners are 14-15mpg.... You're doing really well to get 17-18. Not sure if you would repeat that on a new Tundra. I doubt that the 2015 V6 will see a 25% improvement in mpg. Doing a little research shows that the new V6 will see about 5-10% mpg improvement.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
rtkbowhunter said:
WexfordBowhunter said:
rtkbowhunter said:

Wex,

The mpg is a mix of mostly highway and some city, and no I'm not easy on the gas pedal. I lurk on Tacoma World and it looks like the average mpg of 2nd Gen Taco owners is right around the 19-20mpg. Most of the Tundra owners are 14-15mpg.... You're doing really well to get 17-18. Not sure if you would repeat that on a new Tundra. I doubt that the 2015 V6 will see a 25% improvement in mpg. Doing a little research shows that the new V6 will see about 5-10% mpg improvement.
I have a 05 Tundra 4.7L that averages about 17 mpg. If I drive it on a long trip, interstate, constant speed, etc. I'll get 20mpg. During deer season, short trips, back road, and a lot of 4 wheel driving, I don't even come close to the 17mpg.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
08 tacoma with the v6 4 door. My only complaint is the Gas mileage at 19mpg...and it is horrible if you tow anything at all, less than half - 10mpg for sure.

·
Registered
227 Posts
LONZO said:
They are coming out with a new Tacoma next summer that is supposed to get 4-5MPG better gas mileage. That's what I am waiting for. hope I like the looks.
I'll believe it when I see it. Lots an lots of rumors with little to no evidence to back up a redesign. Not saying it won't happen just real no evidence. Apparently the reg cab 2.7l will be discontinued. The fact the trd pro came out would suggest the redesign is a ways off.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts